Sunday, July 06, 2008

I love this place!

Wow! I hadn't realized that it had been over a month since I posted to this blog. Good thing people are using the RSS feed, otherwise I'm sure nobody would be reading this now.

So a lot has changed in the past month. Of note on the work front, I fired the student who wasn't putting in the hours. It happened about a week after I posted about his lack of effort in the lab. After having a discussion with him about this things did not change the following week. So at that point I just fired his ass; things in the lab have been more productive ever since.

On a more personal note Deirdre and I finally moved the hell out of Newport Beach. I really have no way of describing what living there was like other than to repeatedly use the word 'awful'. Sure the area is pretty, in an artificially manicured and maintained way, but the same can be said of the residents and that's where things start to get creepy.

Now we're living down in San Diego, a place which is much more normal in my books. There are tons of little shops and restaurants in our neighbourghood and everything is in walking distance. Hell, I'm only blocks from Balboa Parkwhere you will find the only velodrome in San Diego, I think it's time to get a track bike. It's also the single gayest neighbourghood I have ever lived in and that makes things really cool and friendly. It really is a refreshing change from Newport Beach; did I mention that it seems to be one of the key spots for McCain to stop and raise funds in California... it really is just an awful place.

Of course the best part of the new apartment, beyond the fabulous, gigantic apartment itself, is the fact that I'm now living about 10 km from the university. This means no more dealing with the train schedules, traffic, border checks or toll roads. I'll probably just bike to and from work but if necessary there is a bus that would get me there in about the same time that stops only a few blocks from our place.

So with all the free time hopefully I'll be able to get some more blogging done after work, rather than collapsing into a comatose state after a 2.5 hour one-way trip. Have I mentioned that I love this place?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home