Monday, May 05, 2008

I can't stop bicycling


So a while back I learned something rather interesting about myself, I tend to bike in my sleep. I never realized that I do this but apparently Deirdre has noticed that nights after I have been out bicycling my legs tend to pedal a little while I sleep. It really is rather odd, after all you would think that I was already tired from the ride, why would my legs want to keep pedaling?

I do wonder if there are any positive benefits to this freakish behaviour? It is common for cyclists to take a light ride the day following a hard one to "flush" the junk out of their legs. Our legs literally will feel heavy after hard days of riding and these low intensity rides really do seem to rejuvenate the muscles. So perhaps my body has adapted to to my irregular riding habits by giving me a virtual ride at night. I should wear my heart rate monitor to bed one night and see if I'm getting any aerobic benefit from this. It certainly may help to explain why I'm so skinny.

Oh, in case you were wondering it turns out that I do seem to pedal at a very regular cadence. Deirdre couldn't say if it was 90 rpm or not, but I figure it was probably in that range, after all it's the only logical cadence to have while pedaling in your sleep.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

After a long day in the saddle, as I'm falling asleep at night, I'm still coasting along on the road in my mind. It's very similar to the feeling you get when sleeping next to the ocean and hearing the waves.

8:16 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home