Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lost voice

So I don’t know what the hell is up with my body, but it certainly seems to be able to tell the difference between weekdays and weekends. Of course it doesn’t seem to use this ability to my advantage - like making me less tired on weekdays and letting me sleep in on weekends. No, instead my body choses to act as though the work week applies to its functions as well, the most notable participant in this scheme is my immune system.

Most of the mornings last week I would wake up with a telltale tickle in my throat, that little warning that I may be about to come down with some kind of cough and cold like infection. But day after day it seemed to be the same, not getting any worse and as the week went along I figured that it was probably not going to get out of that initial stage and I’d have nothing more to deal with.

Then came Saturday. I don’t really remember what symptoms I woke with because the whole day was a blur of discomfort. But the key point is, the weekend started and I no longer had any functional immunity. My throat was really sore, my head ached, I was stuffed up, coughing and feverish. Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve felt that cold, it’s kind of funny how your body can get so hot that you actually feel cold; while you may actually be able to set fire to your wife if you hug her.

Fortunately I was able to start feeling better by Sunday, and surprise surprise, come Monday I was nearly perfect again. Except for one slight hitch, a cough/sore throat. Now in the past that wouldn’t have been so bad, but being a teacher, that sucks. Because not only does the cough tear my vocal cords to shit, but I have to teach. And after an hour and half of teaching today, I can’t really speak to anyone. So here’s to hoping I can get a voice back enough to able to teach on Thursday, otherwise I may have to get a TA or student to read the lecture for me...you know that could be fun, maybe I should fake having lost my voice just to see how that works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home