Saturday, December 29, 2007

Least favorite holiday candy

So how many candy canes have you eaten this Christmas? I think I'm up to about three or four, which is a lot more than normal. As a kid I used to eat them all the time. I recall my parents limiting my brother and I to a single candy cane each per day in the days before Christmas. As a kid a candy cane was fun, though I'm sure my parents thought that they were just a sticky mess, then again what in the hands of a child isn't?

As the years went on I ate them less and less, but this year I bought a dozen just before Christmas and I've been enjoying them since then. Though I have to say I don't enjoy them nearly as much as I did as a kid, because they are so damn messy!

One thing I want to know is who designed the plastic wrap for the candy canes. Not only does the plastic break with ridiculous ease when you try to peal it off, but it develops a static charge comparable to a super conductor. I swear that the other night I spent a couple of minutes leaning over the garbage can trying to get a finger sized piece of the plastic off one hand, then the other, hoping somehow that I could shake it off me.

The other thing I want to know is when was the last time that you ever got an intact candy cane? Every one I ever eat is always broken in several sections, even though it was packed so that it was almost suspended weightlessly in its box. Now the fact that they come broken isn't that bad, I prefer bite sized pieces rather than sucking on the end of a candy cane all night. But the problem is that they never break cleanly. There are always millions of candy cane shards that will spill out of the plastic wrap, or cling to is desperately (only to fall onto the couch as I try to throw out the wrapping). And I'm quite curious how the shards all stay so tightly together that no matter how closely I inspect the candy cane I never see the breaks until I unwrap it. Even more impressive is how far the shards will go and how sticky they can be. I'm actually rather embarrassed to admit this next bit, but somehow the other night part of a candy cane fell down my shirt. Sadly I didn't find it until I went to bed that night, it managed to get stuck in my belly button...I think I've just reached a new all-time low in candy eating.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a low in candy cane eating, or an all new high in bellybutton lint.
I prefer the latter.

a Belated Merry Christmas, and a wonderful New Year to you and your family

1:59 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home