Wednesday, October 24, 2007

No work this week

So it turns out that I'm getting the whole week off of work. The university decided to shut down for the week, it's not currently threatened by any fires, but there is also no logical reason to have people driving in and worsening traffic and risking more lives just for a couple of classes. The ironic part about all this is that being the faculty member who lives the furthest from the university I'm fully equipped to continue working as normal from home...well without the ability to teach though.

But that being said it's kind of hard to get any real work done. I'm finding myself really intrigued by the situation down in San Diego and that's distracting me a good bit. Plus I haven't felt like I've had a real vacation where I can do whatever I want in ages. Though if I'm smart about it I could at least get a few lectures prepared in advance and be ahead of the schedule when things get started again.

It's kind of funny to thing about it. Most people who go to college probably never experience their school being closed for even a day that wasn't anticipated. For myself this will be the second time that a university that I've been at has been closed for a week. The last time was due to the 1998 ice storm in Quebec, talk about polar opposites. And of course this time I'm the prof not the student, so I'm starting to wonder how they are going to deal with the lost classes and how I'll be able to teach them all the valuable knowledge that they need...maybe I'll just cut out the stuff I barely understand and call it day; so long electrochemistry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home