Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mmmm....Donuts.....

So one of the drawbacks that I’ve found to my long-distance commuting, beyond the lack of time to ride my bikes, is that I’m really quite hungry shortly after getting to work; I eat breakfast in the morning, but that’s before 6:00, so by about 10:00 I’m starting to get hungry. And that has led me to notice something, there’s nowhere to get a donut on campus!

Once I realized that I started to think about what things were like in Minneapolis. Though there are some coffee shops where you can get some pastries, there really wasn’t a place to get donuts there either. And that got me to think about why there aren’t any places to get donuts on a campus in the US. After all, if you think of the pinnacle of donuts it’s the Krispy Kreme brand, which is in the US...yet I don’t think I’ve ever seen a shop.

I guess the stereotype of Canadians really liking donuts is true - actually it turns out that Canadians have more donut shops and consume more donuts per capita than anyone else...who knew? Because when I think of a mid-morning snack my mind goes to donuts right away. And frankly, getting a donut on a Canadian university campus wasn’t challenging. The U of A had at least three places to buy donuts, two Tim Horton’s and an independent donut/coffee shop on campus. And think of it, they don’t even sell donuts in the most popular coffee shop chain in the US - Starbucks; though you can get expensive, shitty croissants.

All in all this leaves me in a crappy situation, hungry and with nothing suitable to eat as a snack. Though thinking about how high in calories and fat a donut really is, I could probably just eat a chocolate bar and not be eating anything worse...though they just aren’t as tasty. Or maybe, since I’m not biking as much I should just lay off the high calorie snacks...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home