Sunday, September 23, 2007

Fucking sick people


So this sucks, I’m feeling sick. I’ve got a headache, my sinuses are stuffed and my throat itches; in short I feel like crap. I really hate feeling sick, thankfully I’m not one of those people who gets constantly sick. I really don’t understand how some people always manage to get sick all the time, but I suppose that that’s the reward for taking care of myself.

Unfortunately Deirdre’s classmates seem to be some of the ones unable to stay healthy, I suspect that some of them may spend their free time licking doorknobs and buttons on elevators - but it’s just a working theory at this point. But last week when she was at her class half of them were sick; ok so it was only three of them but there are only six people in the class. Anyway, after spending a couple of days with them Deirdre fell sick with a nasty cold that Sunday.

I realize now that I made a mistake on that first day of her sickness. I could have been smart about things and taken care of everything right away, if only I’d had the courage to quarantine her in the office/spare bedroom. But no, I had to be all loving and shit; taking care of her, sitting next to her on the couch and letting her curl up to me to stay warm in bed at night.

But I figured I was good, I’ve got a good immune system and I was only faced with one viral factory, not three. And as the week went on I stayed healthy, feeling no signs of an impending viral assault. But little did I know that the virus was just biding it’s fucking time, waiting for me to get tired enough to be able to sneak past my defenses. And sure enough, Saturday morning, after being completely exhausted by the end of the day Friday, it got me.

At least I was smart enough to be nice to Deirdre when I was sick, because she’s taking great care of me now. I have a feeling had I sequestered her to the office I would be writing this from the balcony right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home