Tuesday, September 02, 2008

It's nice to make a difference

So it's the first day of classes here. I'll be teaching my usual 200 level class around noon today, followed by my first grad course this evening. But my teaching doesn't end there.

Just this morning as I was entering the bathroom I witnessed one of the wonderful undergrads throw his used paper towel into the urinal, because that's just how smart they are here. Fortunately I was there to point out that the large brown box with an opening is a garbage can. He kindly removed his paper towel from the urinal and put it where it belonged.

I'm still conflicted as to what made me happier: that I said anything and managed to educate the young lad, or that I had him pick something out of a urinal... wait, I think I know which one it was ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger ~D. said...

Haha! That's awesome. What's it like to teach preschoolers and grad students in the same day?

11:13 a.m.

 
Blogger Cory said...

Heh heh, nice job man. Someone's gotta teach 'em some manners, since their parents clearly weren't up to the task.

You must really be looking the part of "authentic authority figure" these days, 'cause I'm pretty sure if I tried to offer a friendly tip like that to a new student, I'd just get a urine-soaked paper towel thrown at me. ;)

4:48 p.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

D- It's a wonderful joy to find so many levels of intellectual prowess in one institution, I'm truly fortunate.

Cory - I don't know if I'm looking like an authority figure of if I'm just able to put sufficient level of quilt and disappointment in my voice to shame undergrads now.

11:49 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home