Friday, November 18, 2005

A little follow-up

This is kind of interesting. A couple of days ago I posted an entry critiquing an e-mail that was sent around campus. My biggest issue is that there was no description of the suspects, other than their being black. Let's face it, that doesn't do much to identify a criminal unless you are in rural Alaska.

Now I noticed today that the University paper was running an article related to the e-mail crime alert. They however the criticism of the e-mail is not for it's content, but on how long it took for the e-mail to be sent. Which to me is plain silly, let's face it, the crime occur ed after 10:00 pm on a Friday, the e-mail was sent Monday morning. I don't see that as being a problem. Not very many students are on campus during a weekend in the first place. And really, do you think the chief is going to be working a weekend, I'm sure as soon as he got word he sent off the e-mail.

What strikes me about this is that it seems that it seems that people are more concerned about being told that there is something to fear rather than what to fear. But then again, this country seems to be afraid from the top down. I do realize that it is important to warn the community about such dangers as repeated robberies. I simply would have prefered there to be more useful information in the e-mail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home