Friday, November 11, 2005

Ya know what I mean?

I swear that I will punch the next person that I hear using that phrase as the casual ending of a statement. I don't know if it's the Minnesotan version of the Canadian 'eh' but I had the unfortunate pleasure of hearing it about a dozen or more times from the woman sitting next to me on the bus this evening. So not only was this woman loud enough that I could hear her clearly over the music playing on the iPod (borrowed from my girlfriend, have I mentioned how great she is?) but to add to the stupidity of her conversation I had to put up with inane phrase.

What the fuck is the point of saying that anyway? I don't suspect that she was talking to someone who was not familiar with the English language. I mean had that been the case I could then see it as an acceptable statement, sometimes you need to make sure that things are understood. But when you are droning on about helping someone and seemingly looking for accolades for what little you have done, it doesn't really matter. So you did a 'good dead', big shit, you want a medal, maybe a Nobel prize? You're pissing me off right now so that negates the good dead, how about that!

The only other excuse I could see for saying that phrase at the end of each sentence was if she was using any kind of euphemistic language, such as: "If I hear her say that I again, I'm going to clean her clock, ya know what I mean?" See there it's perfectly acceptable to use the term. I want you to understand that I have no intention of cleaning anything that she owns much less a clock...and where the hell did that phrase come from? Were clocks at one point in time incredibly prone to becoming dirty? I mean 'clean her engine' would make more sense...but as you are all giggling to yourselves we all know that that particular one is already taken. And another thing, wouldn't cleaning a clock require a certain level of delicateness? That is certainly not the meaning I intended, I was thinking more along he lines of using a clock to bludgeon her.

So take that as a warning. Pay attention to what you say and don't add on any stupid shit at the end of a sentence...well nothing longer than 2 letter, eh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home