Thursday, June 09, 2005

Volunteering for a Bike Race

Well, yesterday was the first of three days that I have signed up to help with the Nature Valley Grand Prix, a 5 day bicycle stage race taking place around the Twin Cities. It was the prologue TT, only about 7.5 km on a rather flat road. Anyway I volunteered in part to be active in the cycling community here, and in penance for all those whom I coaxed into volunteering at races for me.

I learned something from the whole event, between marshaling a course in the cold and rain or marshalling one on a day that turns sunny and hot, I preferred the cold rainy one. Unfortunately at this event I arrived to find things in a bit of shambles and needed to help with the venue set-up. As a result when I was finally needed out on the road I was in a bit of a rush and forgot to use some sun screen. And as luck would have it the morning that started off rainy and heavily clouded turned into a wonderfully sunny day. So I burned, big time. Worst off have to be the tops of my feet, I was wearing sandals (one would think I would have learned from Aaron), and I will be wearing the same sandals for a number of days, at least until the skin stops glowing red.

So that's my stupidity for the day, I just though that you might like to hear that I suffered a bit while being a course marshal. After all I know that most of you who helped out with my races did so in some pretty shitty weather, and I have always been thankful for the help you provided.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there...just thought i'd say hi! maybe my last one....:(...just kidding...marc's getting a new bike (motor) and it's rather fast and powerful. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! It's a very cool bike....
other than that...the children's hospital is good...the foothills is hectic....and i still need to buy a coffee table.
and the flood stopped! yay!we're on our first thunderstorm of the season. and yup...it's raining. quel surprise!
hope you are staying outta the sun...
julia
ps - found another awesome ice cream store!

1:20 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home