Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Check Cards - Realy Dumb Idea

As I had mentioned in a previous post it seems that the majority of what Canadians would term debit transaction are done through the use of "Check Cards" here in the US. Though they both directly remove the purchase value from your bank account there is one major difference; there is little to no security with the "Check Card".

I have recently received my check card, which was mailed to me, and only required the knowledge of my PIN to activate it. Since then I have used it twice, admittedly for minor purchases (~$5 each). The first time I had to sign the receipt, the second time I just gave them the card, it was swiped and returned to me. Now I'm not one who worries about "security" of every little aspect of my life. Yet it would seem to me that Americans tend to want more security in just about every aspect possible (so long as it doesn't restrict their access to weapons, or force them to do things safely i.e. helmets on motorcycles). But I now have in my wallet a card which essentially grants unrestricted access to my bank account that it would seem pretty much anyone could use to buy whatever they like with my money.

It really stuns me that I have had a debit account for over 15 years, which used the simple security feature of a PIN. Yet the US which appears to be a newcomer into the debit world has decided to use a much less advanced and less secure method. I really just don't get it.

Here's hoping I never lose my wallet in this country.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

again checking up on you at work, I sort of like the little game you guessing who I am... me not telling, its great.
Totally agree with how odd the cheque card deal is. really they should be more advanced than that, but at the same time the idea of a cheque card is really new to Canada and has only just recently (last few months) started to make an appearance (for sure at the ATB).
life on my end continues to flow, When yo guess who this is, I will tel you more
Cheers

10:21 a.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Though the idea of a check card is new I really don't see much distinction between it and the classical debit card, other than it goes through a credit card company rather than directly through the bank.

So my latest guess is going to be that you are Bryan (hopefully this isn't an insult to you if you aren't).

Chris

10:26 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home