Saturday, May 07, 2005

Getting lost

So I think I have found the team to ride with down here, though admittedly I have yet to ride with them, but the shop instills me with confidence. The guys who started the shop all came from QBP and over the years have started to expand the shop, even building on their own cafe(what more could a cyclist ask for?) So hopefully I will get the chance to ride with them soon, this weekend seems to be a race weekend.

Since there weren't any rides going on, I did get up late as well, I figured I would tour around town a bit on my own. I have to say that I am impressed with some of the roads down here. Not only is the quality rather good (some kind of red pavement, maybe part brick) which feels really fast, but a lot of roads are bike friendly (few stop signs). I started taking a bit of a tour around the lakes near my place. It was funny to notice that the bike/walking paths around the lakes were probably designed by a Brit, as you are to ride on the left side.

The funny thing with today is that it was raining a bit, though still over 15 C the whole time. The problem with this was that it blocked out the sun, the sky was a uniform grey colour. This lead to me being rather confused as I rode in circles around these lakes (about 10 km loops). At one point I suddenly realized that the "new" lake that I was riding around was the first one that I had started on, and I had no clue how I got back to where I started. Eventually I found my way out to where I knew where I was and decided to try one of the river roads by the Mississippi. Well after following it and being lead to a very nice parkway I suddenly found myself at a lake. Sure enough it was one of the same ones I was riding along before. Somehow I went from going south-east to going due west. All I can say is that that was one of the oddest rides I have ever had within a city.

Oh and a neat little note for the techno-geeks out there. As most of you know I only use a cell phone, and have not had a land line in ages. Well moving into an apartment for the first time in about 6 years I was concerned that I would have to pay for a land line just to be able to use the buzzer in my front door. Well it turns out that I can actually have it directed to my cell phone, which conveniently enough has a ring (assigned to that number) which is a doorbell. I still have to try to call the door and see if I can open it that way. Either way though I don't need to use my key to get through the front door if I forget it, so long as I have my phone with me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya! Since other people insist on talking to you too... A few things: nice to know that you're sitting near the front of the bus these days with the wacky people; so you can buzz yourself in the front door but how do you get in the locked apt? and finally, nah the UofA cares about theft, most people go out of their way to be accomodating! you know leaving office doors wide open with unlocked laptops ;) Anyways sounds like you're settling in. Talk to you soon.

11:40 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home