Thursday, January 12, 2006

How masculine are you?

So has anyone out there ever described me as macho, or a man's man (by the way, is it just me or does that kind of sound gay)? The answer would be resoundingly NO! I'm not saying I'm a pansy, though at points in my life the term wuss could have been accurately applied. I am most certainly not the guy with the pick-up truck and gun rack who goes to monster truck rallies and boat shows. The reality is that as the years have passed I have become very comfortable doing some very non-traditional male roles, cooking would be a good example of this. So far I have made several dinners for my girlfriend, she has made me one, it was grilled cheese (what can I say, we both tend to buck tradition).

But I am starting to wonder if it's going too far. I mean this week the most masculine activity I have taken part in may have been dancing Argentine Tango! Not exactly what you'd be likely to see on Spike TV. But that wasn't what started me wondering about my masculinity. What got the question rolling was my interest in my girlfriends knitting. See she has been working on knitting some pillow covers for her new couch. They are really nice and I was intrigued at how one could turn a single strand of yarn (not thread, there is a difference) into something so useful.

Ok, it wasn't actually the fact that I was impressed by the knitting that got me wondering about my macho quotient. It wasn't even the fact that I asked how knitting works and suggested that if I was taught I could help speed along the process. It wasn't even the pink practice yarn that she gave me to use with the needles I bought. It was the fact that after trying it last night I picked it up again this morning and continued practicing while she got ready to go to work.

I can only begin to imagine the comments that will come from this post. But hey, knitting is like construction work, at the end of the day you have made something...though at the moment I have only managed to make a long piece of very pink knit yarn. And sure it doesn't have the power tools you need for wood working or welding, but really how function is a chair in comparison to a tea cozy? And didn't Sylvester Stallone knit a sweater in Demolition Man? And yes, I know I'm stretching. But hey, I enjoy it, the act of actually making something is very satisfying (the project on tap is a scarf, and no, it won't be pink).

And maybe knitting is more masculine than I first thought, after all knitting needles are on the list of items that are prohibited on airplanes...along with nail clippers, tweezers, nail files and manicure scissors...yeah, I'm really stretching.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, my sister's fiance knit her a beautiful scarf for Christmas. It was so nice, in fact, that it put the hideous "scarf" I was knitting to shame so badly that I had to go home, undo the whole thing and start again. This attempt is turning out better, I am happy to say. Now that I am not trying to fit it into my thesis writing time, the scarf is looking significantly better! I am not magically picking up stitches for 10 rows then dropping some for the next 5 and the stitches themselves are fairly even. However, I may still have to tap my 21 year old future brother in law for knitting advice since I am certainly no pro!

8:37 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, you're more girly than me! I don't even know how to knit!

However, in order for a man to participate in ballroom dance he must be suave, sexy and know what to do with his hips - any guy that can pull that off is more manly than a cowboy boot wearing strongman anyday!

1:39 p.m.

 
Blogger pacatrue said...

I got interested in learning to crochet a couple years back, so I went and bought a whole bunch of alpaca / wool blend yarn for close to $100. But I couldn't ever even successfully do the basic stitch. I just got a big not. So does it make more masculine if I tried to crochet but failed miserably?

10:32 p.m.

 
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Hey--I've been shown how to knit & crochet about 20 times each in my life. & for the life of me I just can't do it. So I'm impressed by anyone who can.

4:55 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have begun to understand my passion for design Chris. The same feeling you feel of accomplishment is what I feel everytime I start a sewing project. at the end of the day you have transformed an item that was not functional into something that covers, drapes, provides some form of utilitarian use. and you can SEE your progress. you write a report, toss some chemicals in a vial, you can't always see that you have done something at the end of the day.
Congratulations. I think by understanding what your girlfriend is doing and by being so involved with it that you bothered to learn proves that you are more manly than the rednecks you described early in your post,
Cheers,

9:58 a.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Thanks for the comments guys. I won't say that I'm good at knitting, but it is kind of fun. Hell I even picked it up while I was cooling down after riding the stationary trainer for about an hour...unfortunately Deirdre just came in the room then and found it oh so funny. She'll post the pictures on her blog when the film is developed...oh well, what can I say, I'm kind of hooked...but no, this will not become another knitting blog ;)

11:59 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home