Monday, December 19, 2005

Sleep

So I'm going to turn this entry into a bit of an informal survey on sleep habits. Now I don't really care what you sleep on, what you wear to bed or who you are sleeping with...though those could all make for good blog topics. No I'm curious to know if I'm the only one who seems to think that, in general, men sleep less than women.

I will admit that I am one of those people who, for the most part, doesn't sleep much. I have, in the past, been known to sleep for as little as 3-4 hours the night before a bike race that would last equally long. I've pushed the boundaries of sleep deprivation to the point that I know that I will start to have auditory hallucinations if I stay awake too long. I once got to a state of such exhaustion that my mind's inner dialog was actually in French. So yeah, I don't get the suggest 8 to 9 hours of sleep a night. But does anyone?

See, from talking to friends I have noticed that more often than not women will comment on sleeping 10+ hours if given the chance. I have never heard a guy say this. Unless I have absolutely nothing else to do, I'm likely to get out of bed after about 8 hours of sleep, max. Now this of course can easily be altered if I have my girlfriend with me, then I have no problems cuddling up to her and going back to sleep. Though after about 10 hours I'll pull out a book and the iPod because my body just can't function if I sleep that much.

But am I right to assume that given a day of complete freedom would a woman sleep more hours than a man? I figure I have a pretty good readership on here from both genders so let me know what you think (otherwise this will be the only new thing to read until I find something to complain about...hum I have been meaning to bitch about Christmas advertising...)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I know I very much enjoy sleeping in, and if I have nothing pressing am perfectly happy to sleep until noon. However, often I find I just can't do that; guilt, just need to get out of bed, I don't know.
But I can't really say it's a girl thing per se. I know that Shane, being quite a night owl at times, could probably live in bed if given the chance. True, not all of that would be sleep, but he could spend a good 10 hours in bed no doubt.

11:46 a.m.

 
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

I love to sleep in, but I'm generally an early riser.

My ex-boyfriend used to sleep a lot & he liked to nap, too.

7:14 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These days, I don't seem to be doing very well even with a solid 8 hours of sleep. I am constantly tired, even after 8 hrs. 10 hours might be better but after that, I reach a point where I can't sleep anymore and if I try I just get cranky! I am not that good at sleeping in though, ironically. I have to be very tired to sleep past 8:30-9:00 am. By 11pm, though, I am out like a light.

7:24 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home