Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Christmas music

Sweet merciful crap, someone put me out of my misery now! Seriously, just ram a pen in my ears and rupture my ear-drums, I can't stand to hear it one more time.

No more jingling bells, elitist prancing reindeer, obese men with midget fetishes, pedophiles looking for infants, frostbite mornings, acid trip induced talking snow men, dead trees, harassing carolers or that f*cking little drummer boy...pa-rum-pa pum pum...if he keeps it up that will be the sound coming from the automatic rifle in my hands.

Now before you get me wrong, I'm not a scrooge or a grinch of any kind. It's just that Christmas carols are, as I eluded to in a prior post, the bane of my existence. Now I know that they are prevalent everywhere around Christmas, I can live with that. But does there have to be a 24 hour a day Christmas carol radio station? Ok, maybe there is a market for it, but do I have to listen to it in my lab? Who wants to be listening to the same songs for 25 straight days? I guarantee that's one of the tactics being used on the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay; but to be humane they are only subjecting them to Christina Aguilera, and I bet it wasn't her Christmas music either.

It's a damn good thing that I have access to an ipod so that I can block out the harmful effects of the sick mix of old time crooners followed by some random boy-band doing the same song I heard ten minutes ago, only now it has some failed hip hop beat in the background, and I though the First Noel couldn't get any worse!

Now I know some people enjoy the holiday season and the music that goes with it, but honestly, how many times can you hear about chestnuts roasting by an open fire? Seriously, is there anyone who can find and read this blog who has actually had a roasted chestnut, yet alone roasted one by an open fire? I suspect not, so how does that even relate to your holiday experience?

I'll admit that there are a few Christmas songs that I enjoy, Bob and Doug McKenzie's classic "12 Days of Christmas" is one of them. Then there is the Cheech and Chong "Santa Clause and his Old Lady". And since I am open to other points of view I have always enjoyed Adam Sandler's "Chanukah Song". So I will try to find and listen to those from time to time, but not 24 hours a day for 25 days.

7 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm currently living in Prague, and was eating roasted chestnuts at the Christmas market this weekend. They're really good - they have the texture of mashed potatoes, but are much tastier!

(PS - I'm Michelle's old roommate from Edmonton, in case you're trying to figure out who on earth I am)

2:10 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I see you're now getting posts from my friends who don't even know you! Hey Elizabeth.
I too have had roasted chest nuts in San Francisco. I didn't particularly like them, and it was in the middle of the summer, but I have had them nonetheless.

Now, about all the Christmas carol ranting; I love Christmas carols and put my Christmas CDs on before Dec 1st (must to friends and Shane's chagrin). I had my christmas socks and earrings on weeks ago and have been singing Christmas carols for ages now. However, I do understand your complaints, as when I used to be a cashier at Safewy they'd start the carols after Halloween and go for months after Christmas.
Best of luck in changing your lab radio station. Ever thought of staging a coup?

7:16 a.m.

 
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Kim - I do too know him! I met Chris several times while Michelle and I lived together. Silly girl. If I don't actually know the person I just lurk I don't actually post comments.

11:41 a.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

You know, I was wondering who was checking me out from Prague. Thanks for saying 'hi' and proving to me that some people actually do eat chestnuts, who knew?

12:26 p.m.

 
Blogger Rudy Wellsand said...

'Tis the Christmas season. Merry Christmas! Have I got a Gift for YOU! God put many CODES in us, like DNA, RNA, and a bunch of other CODES that switch things ON and OFF in our bodies. He even put CODES in YOUR OWN Bible that we were not aware of, that show HOW HE WORKS in our lives. You can find some at: http://quadcode.blogspot.com

1:16 p.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Wow, here I thought the word verification would keep people like Rudy from posting rediculous comments...oh well. I'll keep that one up only because it amuses me in it's stupidity. "He even put CODES in YOUR OWN Bible that we were not aware of, that show HOW HE WORKS in our lives." Really so if we aren't aware of the codes how do we know they are there? Idiot!

1:52 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"if he keeps it up that will be the sound coming from the automatic rifle in my hands"

I see you're adjusting quite well to the American lifestyle. ;)

Looks like Rudy is a few codes short.

3:53 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home