Friday, January 06, 2006

How cold is it in Minneapolis?

So I came across an interesting misconception while I was back in Canada for New Years. One of the most common things that was said to me was that it must be cold in Minneapolis. Well sure it’s cold, it’s one of the northern most cities in the US (excluding the freak states, Alaska and Hawaii). And yes, in comparison to the rest of the US it is cold, but why do Canadians seem to think that Minneapolis is a frozen wasteland?

I mean it’s further south than all the major cities in Canada (excluding the freak city of Toronto). And though latitudes are not necessarily the measure of warmth they work relatively well. But if you don’t believe that check out the numbers for the average temperature in Minneapolis and Montreal. Sure enough, Montreal is colder, and surprisingly wetter, I don’t remember that much rain when I lived there, but maybe I just got used to it.

So why do even Canadians think that Minneapolis is so cold? Sure it is near Winterpeg but a six hour drive south can really change the weather. Did some crazy politician dream up some stupid ad campaign for the state back in the eighties, promoting the numerous winter activities of ice fishing and, well that’s all I can come up with to do in this state in the winter…how the hell would you promote visiting a prairie region in the middle of winter?

Oh well, that’s just the way it goes. Just like I’m going to have to accept the fact that no matter what I will always be questioned as to whether or not I’m going to be warm enough wearing what I have on when I go outside. I heard that one far too often during the weekend at Tremblant. At 28 years old and having spent the last 5 winters in Edmonton (which is a frozen wasteland) I know how to dress for the cold. Though I guess it does appear to be shocking to some, since I have a ridiculously high metabolism and I’m able to stay warm with what appears to be a bare minimum of clothing…but it’s fun to freak out the Americans when I walk across campus in a t-shirt when it’s below freezing outside.

Though the one hard part of being in Minneapolis of late has been the overcast weather. It's just so gloomy and it makes me rather sleepy. The sad part is that we are apparently on day 12 of overcast conditions, and it's going to last until Tuesday at least, which might be a new record. So despite what I may say about Edmonton being cold, at least it's sunny and that makes things seem a bit better, until you step outside and realize just how damn cold it truly is.

2 Comments:

Blogger pacatrue said...

My memory of Minnesota winters was that they were indeed but cold. But it wasn't the cold that bothered me. It was the the length. OK, it is 30 where I grew up and -10 in Minnesota. So what? You still put on a coat either way. It's the fact that they dragged on into April that would bug me.

9:11 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have to agree... 110% with your comment about Edmonton! Frozen wasteland... that has at least sunshine... but not much else!

hahahahahaha

6:33 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home