Thursday, November 16, 2006

"That's Dr. Christopher Robin!"

Now normally I'm not big on titles. I have a Ph.D. but I don't go around making people call me doctor, that's the kind of thing a pompous ass would do. Hell, I still think it's cool when I get an email and it says Dr. Christopher Robin on it. Ok, they don't say that exactly, but it would be really cool if it did.

As I was saying though, I don't make people call my by any title. Though I have pulled that card in joke arguments with friends when they call me Mr. Christopher Robin. Going all serious and saying "That's Dr. Christopher Robin" usually gets a good laugh...the first time anyway.

So, there's a grad student in the department who knows me and that I'm a postdoc here. And in his own quaint little way of being polite I guess he tends to address people as Mr. (your last name here). Well, I don't know what it is about that, but for some reason every time he does that to me I just want to turn to him and say "That's Dr. Christopher Robin!". I guess it just bugs me that he's trying to be all formal and proper with his greeting, yet manages to fuck it up and insult me (or it would if I truly cared) by calling me mister. After all I didn't spend five years in evil graduate school just to be called mister. And yes, graduate school is evil, despite the fun my girlfriend is having, by the time anyone has spent over four years in graduate school it is evil.

1 Comments:

Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

I've been seriously contemplating grad school....will it MAKE me evil?

So, there's this complete tosser over here at work. How do I know he's a tosser? He's getting a Ph.D. from some on-line program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly pissed myself laughing when I heard that.

11:42 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home