Thursday, December 07, 2006

Who needs tv, I have radio!


Without having TV I've found that I tend to listen to the radio a lot more than I ever have. But it seems that with my continuous progress towards becoming an old man I'm no longer really listening to music on the radio.

When I first moved to Minneapolis I found myself spending a lot of time listening to "The Current" which is probably one of the best music stations I have ever listened to. It's part of the Minnesota Public Radio network and features the most eclectic selection of good music you will ever come across. Basically, if an artist is getting a lot of play you might hear the same song more than twice in a week.

But in the past few months I have moved away from even that station. Now I'm listening to news/talk radio almost all the time. I've even been listening to financial shows, auto shows and cooking shows! For some reason they are all very compelling and enjoyable to listen to. As it is every day when I get home from work I turn on the radio and just listen while I check email, cook and do pretty much anything else until I turn it off, usually when I go to bed.

The funny part about all this is that listening to MPR, which is part of the National Public Radio network, through the late evening I find myself listening to radio shows from Canada and England rather than the US. There's an hour or two of CBC programing which is followed by BBC until probably 1:00 am. Maybe it's just me but I find it rather ironic that a large portion of the "National" radio broadcast is from other nations. But I'm not complaining, I'd rather listen to news/talk from Canada and England rather than conservative Christian radio.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

While you're listening to radio, I would highly recommend "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" the NPR news quiz show. It's hilarious, and one of my favorite ways to get the news. If they don't have it on public radio in Minnesota, you can listen to it online at http://www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/

5:18 a.m.

 
Blogger CMac said...

*Shameless plug to my blog where I just talked about which podcasts/radio I listen to* (notice that "Wait Wait" is on there

www.cmcdonald.net

12:46 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home