Thursday, January 11, 2007

Oops...

So have you ever done something unintentional while you were doing something else? You know, like pointing at something only to realize that you’ve accidentally flipped off a cop? Well, I’ve managed to unintentionally do something a bit more serious.

See, as I mentioned in the blog a while back, I got married. Now I checked for restrictions and prohibitions about marrying an American, I didn’t want to get there just to find out I needed some kind of form. Well I didn’t need one so I figured all was good…until I came to cross the border back into the US from visiting my parents. It seems that I’ve changed my “status” and it turns out that I’m now immigrating to the US.

So that’s not the end of the world, I’ll still be able to keep my Canadian citizenship, which is important to me. I do however have to fill out a number of forms and pay somewhere up to $600 in filing fees!

The best part about all this is some of the questions that I have to answer. Here are a few of my favorites:

Do you intend to engage the United States in:
a) Espionage
b) Any activity to overthrow the government

Have you ever engaged in genocide?

Have you ever knowingly committed any crime of moral turpitude or drug-related offense for which you have not been arrested?
(What is a crime of moral turpitude?)

Do you plan to practice polygamy in the United States?


These are all yes/no questions to which I only have to ask, has anyone ever actually checked the yes box to any of these while trying to immigrate? If so let’s hope that they aren’t the ones practicing polygamy, because they are going to have some really dumb kids!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever plan on getting your us citizenship -- let me know how hard the test is ;)

Bri

8:41 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home