Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Candy sucks.

Now those of you who know me are aware of how skinny I am. Those that don't, picture a guy who's 6'2" just under 170 pounds with legs that are about three times as big as my arms. But hey, I'm a cyclist, weight is an important factor in racing; the heavier you are the harder it is to go up hills. And yes, I know I'm in the Midwest and there aren't any real hills here I'm still watching my weight. In fact I picked up a body fat measuring scale over the winter. It measures my body fat based on the electrical impedance of my body. It's not perfect, but by using it consistently I can get an idea if I'm gaining or losing body fat. And yes, I know that I'm skinny enough that it's easy to do that visually, but give me a break, I'm a scientist and I like numbers.

So I've been weighing myself every morning and I have been pleased to see that I'm sitting at about 168 pounds (give or take a pound). Well over the weekend I started riding a lot more than normal, doing 220 km in two rides; one of only 80 km, the other of 140 km. As a result I've found myself a bit hungrier than usual. Actually I first found myself to be a bit sunburned and with a sore knee, but those were due to a lack of sunscreen and a crooked saddle. The hunger part, well that was just a natural reaction to burning about 7700 calories just by riding.

So when I got a wonderful care package from Deirdre on Monday I was doubly happy because it contained a bag of Twerpz. I don't know if they have them in Canada but they are damn tasty! Essentially they are licorice bits with tangy filling. Anyway, as I was text messaging Deirdre to thank her for her gift I was snacking on the Twerpz. I then went out for a light ride, once I was back I snacked on them a bit more. The next thing I knew I was done the whole bag...the biggest ones that you can buy! So I wasn't terribly surprised to see that I weighed 171 pounds this morning. I seriously need to stay away from candy when I start to ride hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home