Friday, March 23, 2007

Bathroom upgrade

So the other day they were doing some repairs to the bathroom on my floor at work. It turns out that they were installing some new lights. As it was there had only been a single light source and a pair of frosted windows, but keep in mind it’s in the basement. So before the new lights were in place the bathroom really kind of felt like some kind of dank sewer, so the lights are a welcome change…well, maybe not quite so welcome, now I can see how nasty the place is.

Consequently I decided to take a trip up to the first floor yesterday afternoon. There I noticed a stark difference between the two floors. There aren’t many undergrads that come to the basement and as a result there really isn’t any graffiti in the stalls. It’s really kind of shocking to realize that the people writing this crap are supposedly getting a higher education. Clearly they are lacking some of the fundamental aspects of knowledge and decency.

What really disturbs me is not the graffiti itself. It’s a form of expression and sometimes they are almost works of art. However the infantile drawings of penises and shit really don’t qualify as meaningful expression. And the stuff that is written is just as bad; insults of gays and racism and very crude comments. I mean seriously, what ever happened to the dirty limerick? Can’t someone come up with a good dirty joke? I’d even be happy with a haiku. The kids today, I blame the lack of creativity on TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home