Thursday, July 21, 2005

Oh boy, oh boy!

Sometimes life just manages to do some of the most astounding things, among these I particularly enjoy: the Northern Lights, solar/lunar eclipses, CMac's beard and instances of incredible timing. This post is about the later of that list (though I was tempted to do a top 10 list on CMac's teddy bear like appearance), the particular fun with this timing is that it is related to my last post. I enjoy this because I felt the last post was a good one. I spoke about a passionate topic, I cracked a few jokes, got in some self pity (CMac stole the show though) and I was able to rant a bit, all in all a good post. So why mess with a good thing?

So back to the topic of jerks and the women who date them. Last night I was able to experience first hand the baffling way that a jerk (or a potential jerk) can attract an otherwise intelligent girl. Oh, it should be noted that his is in fact the same girl who said that she dates nice guys. And in the interest of full disclosure I should state that I do like this girl, though I think that it's best to keep things at the friendship level. But that may in fact be tainting my view of this guy somewhat, though I think that I am being objective. So like most Wednesdays we all ended up at the bar after the softball games, the guy had made a particular point of making sure the girl was going to be there. Anyway I sat off with some others while I chatted and ate, though the girl did come over to see if I would join them, I told her I would after I had my food. So when I joined them we all chatted for a while and then there was a decision to play some pool. Somehow nobody had any change so I paid my bill and got three bucks in change. Since the table was being played on I let the guy and girl challenge the past winners and they managed to take the table so I was able to join in with a friend of the guy. Since this is getting a bit long I'm going to try listing the jerk-like qualities that I observed over the next few games.

  1. A lot of swearing, particularly whenever he missed a shot
  2. Missing a shot often involved some kind of aggressive swing/kick towards some nearby inanimate object, once there was jumping and swearing at which point the girl told him it's ok and that he should take it easy
  3. Pretty constant trash talking of his friend (who I was playing with), not such a bad thing, but it was all one way
  4. Playing with the Buck Hunter (videogame) shotgun, pretending to shoot his buddy multiple times for a slow shot
  5. Aggressively confronting his buddy for grabbing the wrong mug of beer from the table
  6. A lot of yammering/complaining at a jump shot I was making and a scratched shot that I may have accidentally taken a half inch in front of the line (after he scratched on the 8 but the game kept going?)
  7. Lying to the girl about the time, I assume to try to keep her out later (it was only 15 minutes and I'm pretty sure he knew she had her car so this isn't so bad)
  8. I may have missed this last one, but I doubt that I was thanked for paying for the games of pool (hey look, it's a nice guy getting screwed already!)

All in all my assessment of him was that he's one of those guys who needs to act tough, who wants to be the alpha male and will try an make it known that he is, using everything but subtlety. So is he a true jerk or just a young cocky prick...well maybe those are the same thing...either way he got the girl's number and wants to do something with her on the weekend. As for the girl, well at the moment her only concern is that he may not know how much older she is and she's worried that may bother him. So my money is on her going out with him again, it will be interesting to see if my assessment is right. For her sake I hope not, but I do very much enjoy being right, that's one of the other astounding things that happens in life, though it is quite rare.

4 Comments:

Blogger CMac said...

Great post. Keep us informed.
Also, you said "taint". hee hee

4:01 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever things may be unattractive about being a jerk, that kind of cocky, assinine behaviour definitely sends the message that you are confident, and most importantly that you are not trying all that hard to get the girl.

Despite what Hollywood (and many girls) would have you believe, girls actually don't want guys who are trying really hard to hook up with them. They want precisely the opposite, because it makes them feel like they are getting one of the "good" ones. (i.e. she suspects she could do better than that nice, respectable guy who's always there for her--but that guy over there who clearly doesn't care what she thinks of him? She's not even sure he'd be interested in her...)

Don't get me wrong--girls want their husbands/boyfriends to start being polite, nice, and gentlemanly *after* they're in a committed relationship. But not before. That just makes it seem like you think you'd be lucky to have her. And if you think that, so will she.

9:47 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a girl who has dated jerks only because they got past my jerk radar. I would never be attracted to a guy who behaved like that. Infact if I see any signs of aggressive behaviour towards friends, staff or myself the guy is off my list as datable. I like nice guys who are gentle and compassionate. But then again maybe I am a freak.

6:32 p.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Well perhaps you are a freak, but you are certainly an appreciated freak in my books. It's good to hear that there are girls out there who can see the jerks for what they are.

8:32 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home