Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Homesick, or sick of not having a home?

I don't know how many of you bother to check out the blogs of my friends, I've linked them on the sidebar of this page (though apparently there are problems viewing the page with Internet Explorer at the moment?) . Anyway Chantelle has recently moved to Belgrade and has been feeling a bit homesick of late. Thankfully there have been a bunch of suggestions of things to do to get past the homesick feelings. If you have any good ideas that have worked for you I'm sure the suggestions would be appreciated.

Her situation though is one that I have encountered to various degrees a number of times in my life. Admittedly the only time I was forced into an environment where I could barely speak the language was when I was sent to a French school for 1st grade. Sure I was only 6 and it was tough, but my father gave me sticker for my lunch box each day that I went, funny how effective that was, I still remember them to this day.

But it is a real challenge to pick up and move away, even for a short period of time. Because of that I sometimes wonder how that aspect of my life has affected my relationships with friends and family. I don't think that it has ever stopped me from being who I am or developing meaningful relationships with my friends. Yet I have also come to learn that there are a number of people in your life with whom you will be good friends for a while, but once distance comes into play the relationship fades. Current technology certainly helps to keep people in contact, for which I am grateful, because the circles of friends that I now have are the greatest people I have ever had the chance to know and I do not want to lose them.

Right now I am faced with an interesting potential dilemma in my transient lifestyle. This Saturday I'm going to be going on a date with the girl I had mentioned meeting on-line. Now I'm not really looking for anything long-term at this point, and seeing as I'm still not 100% sure she's not a nut I can't say I even want a second date. But what does happen if everything goes well? I'm in a situation where within a year I could be moving yet again. For a relationship that could be a hell of a problem, particularly since I just can't see myself doing the long distance thing.

It's funny, I guess now I'm not really homesick for any one location, I'm homesick for a home. A place where I know I will be for a number of years and able to be confident in the direction of my life. But for now I guess I get to keep enjoying the changes that my life brings. So here's hoping that the date this weekend goes well, after all I'd rather have to have some of the above mentioned problems rather than be a hermit.

2 Comments:

Blogger pacatrue said...

I think you are overthinking it. Go on the first date; go on the second date. If you spend 3 months together, then worry about these things. I think people who are moving within a year are allowed to see someone more than once without an ethics violation.

11:29 p.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Thanks for the advice guys. Reading over the post it seems as though I may not have completed my ideas properly (damn interuptions). I'm not going to hold back on living my life because I may move. I will just have to see what comes down the road, and at this point who knows what that will be...that's part of the fun.

8:58 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home