Monday, September 19, 2005

...like "Love Day" only not so lame...

Looking back, that last post I made was rather long, I'll try to keep this one a bit shorter, plus it should be more fun since I'm ranting again ;)

So for those of you who didn't catch the quote used as a title to this entry it's from The Simpsons (big surprise there). Well the reason for it is that this weekend I was out picking up a birthday card for a friend and came across a shocking discovery. Did you know that there are two holidays in October that I had not heard of or celebrated in the past? I'm not talking about Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur (even though they do sound made up) I have heard of those before. No the surprising ones were "National Boss Day" and get this "Sweetest Day" (which is like Love Day, only more lame).

I don't want to pick a fight with the Greeting Card industry, they are big, powerful and have been known to eliminate those who stand in their way...though I have heard that there is a very nice card which is sent to the wake on their behalf. But is a 'Boss Day' necessary? And what on earth is a 'sweetest day', somehow I see some covert connection with the dentists of the world.

Ah well, it will be interesting to see how and if these things grow to more than they are. After all the general public is simply a mindless buying machine and generally incapable of expressing sentiment without someone writing it out for them. Which may explain why it too me so long to find a blank card so I could write something more meaningful than "Hope your birthday makes you happy all over!".

Ok, rant off, back to work now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although not a holiday, today is “Talk Like a Pirate Day”.

Arrrrrrr.

9:57 a.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Aaron - the scary thing is that you are the second person that I have heard that from. It's good to know pirates are still more popular than sweetness
http://talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

10:01 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home