Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Visits

So does anyone out there know when someone made a trip out to visit me since I moved away from Montreal? Well, the last person from home to visit me was a high school friend, she took an afternoon to drive up from Calgary to Edmonton after a nursing conference. Before that, my parents had made a trip through Edmonton, though that was part of a trip to watch the Brier in Calgary. After all, why else would anyone want to visit Edmonton in early March? That was back in 2002.

See the funny part is that when I was looking around for post doc positions there was a potential that I could end up in Hobart, Tasmania. When I mentioned that to my extended family the immediate and universal response was "Oh! We'll have to come visit!". When I ended up in Minneapolis for my post doc the response was somewhat different "Wow, it's cold there!".

I conclude from this that my presence alone is not enough to entice anyone to come visit...that or my family has no perception of distance and believe that Hobart is just around the corner. But since the biggest attraction to this city is a mall that is in fact smaller than the one in Edmonton, I don't think I'll have too many visitors any time soon.

However since I did get a web cam for Christmas I can now make up for my lack of a digital camera by attaching it to a lap top, creating the heaviest, bulkiest and least effective digital camera known to man. That being said it didn't deter me from snapping a few shots of my apartment last night to share with you. Of course since the web cam is suited for capturing images within a couple of feet of it, these photos kind of suck.

So here's the kitchen with the mandatory grocery back garbage bag on the door to nowhere.

More of the kitchen from the living room...exciting tour isn't it! Just wait until I get to the bike closet!

Part of the living room and kitchen...it's a shame the photos don't grasp the near 12' high ceilings.


Oooh...the bike closet, with only two of three bikes...and guess what the bedroom closet is even bigger! Yeah, all the girls out there hate me now.

And that's all you get to see, you want to see more come and visit...or send me a digital camera, the framing with this web cam is horrible, plus the laptop is damn heavy to carry around.

2 Comments:

Blogger pacatrue said...

REally awesome wooden or faux wooden floor. Seriously. I've got this vinyl tile thing.

My experience so far is that people say they will come visit exotic locations far more than they actually come. When moving to Hawaii, I got a thousand jokes about coming to visit, sleeping on my couch, etc. ALmost 2 years later, a total of 0 visitors have stopped by.

11:08 a.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

The floors are actual hardwood. It's a necessity with the bikes, any maintenance is guaranteed to get grease on the floor, it wipes off of hardwood, not so much out of carpet.

12:57 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home