Sunday, January 14, 2007

Well that was uncomfortable

So the other day I decided to swing downtown to pickup a microphone for my computer. Why you might ask? It’s to get me back into shape. Yeah, that doesn’t make much sense until you know that the bike computer/heart rate monitor I recently got uses an audio coding system to upload the information that it gathers to a web based training file.

But anyway that’s all beyond the point of this blog. What I want to know is do religious groups search out the socially inept to deliver their message? I ask this because I had the joy of sitting next to a self-proclaimed missionary on the way home.

Now like the rest of the world I can spot one of these guys a mile away. They are far too clean cut, too young to be wearing a tie, and they always travel in pairs. Now I’m not sure why there is a need for missionaries, it’s not like this country isn’t educated about religion and unable to make choices, but what the hell, so long as they don’t bother me I don’t mind.

But there’s the problem, this guy did bother me and I did mind. When he tried to chat me up I made sure to give as many signals of disinterest as possible; a very short answer with a sigh after a long pause before answering and not making eye contact. You know, the kind of response I used to get when I would try and hit on a girl. And just like a young, dumb, drunk version of me hitting on a hot girl, he kept on trying to engage me in conversation.

Now his good fortune is that I’m not some snotty bitch who gets off on crushing the self-esteem of a young innocent boy. I simply said no when he asked me if I wanted to hear about the gospel. But I do wonder what it would be like to use some of the responses I got back in the day to get ride of missionaries…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home