Monday, April 23, 2007

Fuck the four seasons

Now that I'm moving to SoCal I seem to have taken a new perspective on things, particularly anything dealing with the weather. I can't stand the random temperature changes that are all too common in the northern regions that I've lived in all my life. Sure it's nice to have a summer-like day in the first weeks of spring, but that just makes the frozen shit that follows always that much worse.

Now this leads me to one of the stupidest things that I've heard people say in northern climates; that they couldn't live without the seasons. All I have to say to this is: bullshit! What you can't live without is a topic of conversation and source of complaints.

And do you want to know why I say this is bullshit? Well, whenever spring arrives everyone always claims that they love winter but that it's nice that spring finally arrived. Yet has anyone EVER said that they were happy that winter or even fall arrived. It never happens, everyone always laments the end of summer and thinks back fondly on the good times. Sure they may find some way to enjoy and survive the winter, but do they really want to endure a winter?
I think that those who say that they can't live without the seasons really just lack some imagination. After all, humans are about the only animals the endure all four season; most animals are smart enough to migrate or at the very least hibernate to avoid the discomfort (and likely death) that winter brings.

I'm really happy that it's finally spring-like weather here and that this really is just about hte last seasonal transition I'm going to have to make. Because frankly, I'm getting sick of talking about the weather so I cannot wait to be somewhere that it's a constant not something that is constantly challenging you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I was never a huge fan of summer in Wisconsin because of the humidity and the bugs. Fall was pretty much my favorite season, and I always looked forward to it. And that first month of winter... priceless.

I always used to say I couldn't live anywhere without four season, and I meant it. But somehow I ended up in Seattle, and now I can't imagine going back. If I want winter, I go to the mountains; I don't miss icy streets. And fall seems to last forever here, which is great. And spring starts in February, which is also great.

So it turns out I could live without the four seasons, but only because I've managed to find a place that has the best of each of them.

9:45 a.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Rebecca - I can understand that. After all, if I miss snow I can always take off to the mountains and go skiing. But it winter was so great why don't people from the south take vacations to cold climates (with the notable exception of skiiers) rather than the other way around?

9:49 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha -- enjoy the year-long summer with occasional earthquakes, and mudslides. I'll stick to my four seasons thanks. lol
Brianne

2:06 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home