Saturday, May 26, 2007

That's it, I quit!


I've had enough! For far too many years now I've been helping people move and I'm now fed up with it.

Sure, it was fun the first few times. It was new and exciting. I never really knew what I was getting into; was there going to be a big leather couch to carry up three flights of stairs, or maybe a fridge?. But there was usually free food and beer after it was all done, except for the one fool who forgot to buy that stuff first and we finished moving after the stores stopped selling beer. Incidentally he's also the one who had the big fucking leather couch; he supervised us moving it upstairs. But aside from that at least I was storing up a lot of favours with friends, surely they would be willing to help me move when the time came

Of course all those favours were shot out the window when I moved away for grad school. So I started all over again. Moving more and more people, learning all the while that I was far better at doing it than they were. After all at one point I realized that I had taken part in a dozen separate moves in the space of eight months. So I tended to take charge when people seemed to be at a loss for how to put things in the truck, or what to move first, or how to get a couch through a narrow hallway. And other than that one wall that we had to bust down, and the couch that had to be subsequently repaired (both related) things went smoothly. I was feeling like a pro and building up a lot more favours. But then I left, again, with virtually no help at all in my moving.

So now after several moves here in the states I'm done. I don't want to have to move your box of broken shit that should have been thrown out ages ago. I'm not going to try and carry yet another large box full of books that weighs more than I do. No more couches to maneuver around corners. No dirty boxes covered in dust from the back of your closets. No more overstuffed, tearing, garbage bags full of clothes. You want to move find some other chump. Because I know that you aren't going to be there to help me move (my job is paying for my next move) and frankly, I'm just frustrated at doing this shit for you for a few slices of pizza!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home