Saturday, June 09, 2007

What was he thinking?

Every now and then when I go out riding I see something that just makes me scratch my head and wonder if there could possibly be a logical reason for what I witness. And I have yet to come up with one for what I saw the Friday night.

I had decided to take a spin through a nearby mountain bike trail when I got home from work. I don't ride my mountain bike all that much, but I do find it to be a nice change from the road rides, where intensity and training effect are foremost in my mind; mountain biking is just plain fun! So as I approached the trail entrance I saw this guy come flying out of the trail, riding a bit too fast to seem safe. My first impression was that he was an idiot, after all he wasn't even wearing a helmet.

After my first loop of the trail I was chatting with another rider when the helmet-less dude comes flying back onto the trail for another lap. I don't pay much attention to him, but I just wonder how long it will take me to catch him, as I was going to go in for another lap myself.

Sure enough I do catch him about halfway through the loop, I'd started after him several minutes after he passed by. He was smart enough to pull over to the side and let me past, but seemed to stare at me more than anything else as I passed and thanked him for letting me by. But it's not like I expected more from a "tough guy" in a cycling jersey, khaki shorts and no helmet.

As I was taking my time riding out of the park with the trail I heard him come rushing up and past me. I think he looked over at me as he was yet again standing and mashing the gears like a big man. But when he got past me I noticed something I hadn't seen earlier, not only was this idiot stupid enough to mountain bike without a helmet on, he didn't even have a fucking seat! Now this wasn't a free ride bike that doesn't even have a seat post, he was riding a mountain bike that just didn't have a seat installed.

As I said before I really don't know what this idiot was thinking but all I know is that if he has an accident he may give a whole new definition to going for a #2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home