Friday, July 29, 2005

Drivers license

I realized something recently, I'm going to have to get a new drivers license. My current license is dated from 1999, back when I lived in Quebec. It's really a sick looking ID. The plastic is pealing apart, it's just paper underneath and there is no actual birth date indicated (it's part of an ID number below the photo) which makes it tough to use as proof of age (but my greying hair is helping me get by I guess). But all this means is that I will need to get a new license, and since I'm living in Minneapolis, I will need to take their drivers test. Now that's going to suck! I haven't really had to think of the rules of the road for ages, being a cyclist I just do what the hell I feel ;) But now having Kelly's car I suppose I should be licensed...but then again it's not my car...though I suppose having a Minnesota drivers license will help me get around paying Canadian income taxes, which would be favourable. So in an effort to ensure that I pass I managed to find a copy of the road test on-line, though I'm going to need some help answering the questions, so please let me know what you think the best answers would be to the test below (we all know how smart I am and how much help I will need on this):

Minneapolis Road Test

  • When approaching a green light a driver should:
    1. maintain a constant speed
    2. turn, but not signal the turn
    3. apply the brakes while crossing the stop line
    4. apply the brakes rapidly in the middle of the intersection
  • When approaching an intersection where you wish to turn you should:
    1. signal the turn in advance, then turn
    2. make the turn from the lane that is the furthest away
    3. make the turn at full speed, there is no need to watch or yield for anything smaller than a tank
    4. do not advance across the stop line until there is no oncoming traffic, then slowly turn in order to leave other vehicles in the intersection when the light goes red
    5. if the light turns red before you can turn you may still make the turn, as long as you are either in a rush or have been waiting for more than 10 seconds to turn
  • When a traffic light is yellow an approaching motorist should:
    1. slow down and prepare to stop
    2. keep going, it's not red yet
    3. if it turns red, keep going, it was green when you first saw it
    4. speed up fast enough to cause a Doppler shift in colours towards blue, making the light green
  • When parking a vehicle on public roads:
    1. park parallel with and as close to the curb as possible
    2. park part of the car close to the curb, the opposite corner can be as far into the moving lane as you like
    3. park parallel with the curb, but at any distance from the curb greater than 16 inches
    4. leave the largest space between vehicles that can only accommodate a European sub compact style car
  • As a pedestrian crossing the road you should:
    1. cross in the designated walkway only when indicated by traffic signals
    2. cross anywhere you feel
    3. cross as slowly as you can possibly move
    4. start crossing at the last possible moment, ensuring that the light is red before you finish crossing
    5. both answers '3' and '4'
  • Should your vehicle incur damage in a collision you should:
    1. get it repaired as soon as possible
    2. repair it yourself with the best materials possible
    3. repair it yourself with the least expensive materials possible (i.e. string, packing tape, plastic bags...)
    4. do nothing, missing side panels and open engine compartments increase the worth and fuel efficiency of the vehicle
  • If you are going the wrong way or miss a turn you should:
    1. take the next turn and go around the block to get in the proper direction/lane
    2. pull a u-turn around the median at the next light, ignore other vehicles and normal traffic signal conventions
    3. stop the vehicle, reverse against traffic until at the desired location
    4. turn partway through the next intersection, across the oncoming traffic, stop, reverse into said oncoming traffic regardless of their speed or number of vehicles

Thanks any help guys, as you can see this is going to be a tough test, lucky for me it's multiple choice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Oh, encountered the most spectacular form of stupidity last night while trying to pull out of a parking space. I had just entered the car and was getting ready to pull out (I had parallel parked, yes I can even do that now) when a car that had just passed me by stopped next to the car in front of me. Then reversed a little and had his signal on, as if to pull into my spot. Which is fine and all, except that I WAS STILL IN MY SPOT!!!! How the hell did this retard think I was going to get out of the spot, drive through the car in front of me, or maybe over the curb?

Some people are simply stunningly dumb.

2:18 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home