Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Multiple lives

Don't get overly excited, I'm not going to reveal my superhero alter ego on this page at this time, I'm simply referring to the feeling I get when I visit a city I used to live in. With the years that list has grown: Minneapolis, Edmonton, Montreal, Franklin Centre...ok, one of these things is not like the others, Franklin is barely a village, which may explain why I didn't have much of a life while I lived there. But in each place I have always found that returning makes me feel as though I'm visiting a vestige of who I once was. It's something that I actually enjoy, or at least have so far, that probably has something to do with a lack of emotional scaring throughout my life...so we will see what happens when I leave Minneapolis. But for me going back to a former home has always been a delight and the latest trip back to Edmonton was one of the best 'homecomings' yet.

Since most of you were there I don't see much reason to tell you what I did with you, but I will add some high points from the visit for those that weren't there. As I've recently seen in the posts and tracking stats I have a few consistent readers that I have never meet. So here are some of the interesting points from the trip:

  • Breakfast get togethers, that's how busy I was, a few people I wanted to see I was only able to fit into early morning coffee reunions
  • Really great coffee, on the same line I spent most mornings getting an espresso at Cafe Leva, truly the best coffee I have yet to taste, makes the stuff I have in the morning seem well shitty
  • Hugs, it's a damn good thing that I'm the touchy-feely type (in the good way) because I was hugged by more people than usual, some of them simply upon meeting them (Kathryn's sister for example)
  • More family, apparently I have now been adopted by Kathryn's family, her mom was even thinking of whom within the family I could be set up with (wait a minute...would that count as incest?). The really funny part about being 'adopted' by them is that many consider Colin and I to be twins, so it only makes sense that I would be welcomed by the in-laws as well.
  • Crack (aka chocolate), it's a damn good think that the chocolate shop that was used for the wedding favours opened only after I moved to Minneapolis, because that is damn good chocolate and I don't know if I could afford to spend money on the bikes and chocolate
  • Acting like a chipmunk on speed, at least that's the closest description I can give you for what I was like as best man, more than once Anthony told me to relax, which I did, for about a minute, total
  • Families, I have to admit to being a bit stunned by how great both Kathryn and Colin's families are, they were incredibly friendly, charming, funny and just plain fun, I guess this explains why Kathryn and Colin turned out the way they did
  • Maranoni custom bikes, ridding Aaron's bike was a great experience, even though the fit was a bit poor for my style it was a great ride, so there is one more thing I need to get eventually
  • Getting all emotional at weddings, I can't say that I anticipated becoming as emotional as I was, but the whole thing really got to me and I was so happy to see two great friends get married (now for the rest of you, hold off for a while, I don't have time to get back for more weddings just yet)
  • Friends friends and more friends, I'm simply stunned at how many great friends I have back in Edmonton, not only that but the number seems to keep growing, I managed to spend some time with a few that I had not spent much time with in the past, and I really enjoyed it, all in all it makes coming back here a little more challenging (thanks a lot)

So that's the briefest of summaries of my trip, there is too much to say to make for a good blog read. What I do want to say is that I was happy to see all of those that I could and I'm sorry that I could not spend more time with all of you. To be honest Edmonton feels like home in a way that no other place has. That is due entirely to the relationship that I have will all of my friends there, and thankfully it just seems to keep on getting better with time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We totally miss you too!!It was great to see you again!

7:41 p.m.

 
Blogger Colin Vitols said...

I'm really glad that you had such a good time! You may not have been told this directly, but you've also been officially adopted by my family, too! :)

You did such an amazing job as best man. I'm so glad that I asked you to stand up with me, and that I am lucky enough to have such a wonderful, caring, amazing friend. It really wouldn't have been right if you weren't there.

And now that we have our condo all set up, feel free to come back and visit whenever the mood (or the money) strikes you. :) You'll always have a place in our home.

8:50 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home