Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Why do scientists look like geeks?

Why is it that on any university campus you can identify what program a student is studying in within seconds just by looking at what they wear? The Arts and Humanities people are trendy and fashionable, sometimes over the top. The Business and Law school students are clean cut and a little conservative in their choice of wardrobe. The pretentious Med and Dental school students are wearing scrubs at all times. And finally the Science and Engineering crowd, essentially the biggest grouping of fashion misfits since the Village People.

Now for the most part I can understand the choice of wardrobe of those in each discipline. The Business/Law people need get used to projecting confidence and strength. Arts/Humanities hell, they come up with the fashions and are in touch with the world. Med/Dental students...ok, I can't understand that one, though maybe they should be called scrubs "strokes", as in stroking their egos. But for the Science/Engineering, why, oh why must they look so god damn goofy?

The only reason I have come up with is that it's tradition. I mean seriously, these people do rocket science, you think they could find a shirt that fits, or at least one that wasn't given to them by a company at a conference. I don't need to go into detail about describing the clothes they wear, you can picture it as accurately as I can explain it. Though I should state that there does seem to be a bit of a hierarchy of stylishness among the sciences. From top to bottom I would say it goes Bio-Sciences, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, Comp-Sci and finally Math* (I wonder how many nerds will complain that I didn't include their discipline in the list?).

See the funny part is that the scientists are not oblivious to fashion, I mean sure they have minimal social contact, but they created the internet for crying out loud, they have seen images of stylish people. But as I found, if you wear fashionable clothes you will actually be questioned for it. I'm serious, I have had people wearing cloths that I would never wear in public derisively comment that I'm all dressed-up for wearing khakis and button down shirt! The same people get all uppity if you happen to dye your hair or cut it a style other than what was fashionable the decade you started elementary school.

It's strange to say this but it seems as though the majority of the science students actively try to cultivate the nerd/geek look. I can only assume it's tradition, very rarely have I come across a prof with a grasp on modern styles. I know the argument by the chemists is that they don't want to ruin their clothes...well that's what lab coats are for, and you know what, I only damaged one pair of pants from any kind of chemical spill, and that's because I wasn't wearing a lab coat. After all, by the time you're a grad student you should know basic lab safety and how not to spill. But seriously, why can't a comp-sci geek know how to dress himself, after all he's likely to be very concerned with the clothing choices of his WoW character (most likely a female elf).

I just don't get it. I would hope that all people would take some pride in their appearance, after all looking like you know what you're doing certainly helps in social situations...ah, there's the flaw, scientist and engineers only socialize with themselves...I guess it makes sense now, though it is oh so sad.

* Ranking of style was correlated to the percentage of women in the field, it may sound sexist but women always have more style then men.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) You know, I read your list of students...bio, chem etc...and my first reaction was that you left out geologists...and then I read the next sentence about geeky people who would complain about not being included...yup that's me!

Geologists are the epitomy of style and fashion - we've succeeded with the casual outdoorsy look and half the time look like formal business people as we try to get jobs...I'm just not seeing what you're suggesting.

11:10 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, you make a very good point about how you stand out when you wear something as simple as khakis and a nice shirt in the chemistry department. You were the best dressed chemist in our dept for sure. Now that I am not a student anymore and since I am not extracting the same nasty stuff as before, I have made an effort to dress a bit nicer. If I wear nice pants, a nice sweater and do my hair, the other chemist in my lab gets paranoid and wonders why. You should see his look of panic if I do all of that and then have to go for a meeting. I think he thinks I am going for an interview and will be getting out of here before he does and he will have to pick up the slack (because that really will happen in this group). =) I never realized how fun it can be to manipulate people based solely on the clothes you wear! hehehe

8:03 a.m.

 
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

I'm a tech recruiter & I currently sit with the IT department at my company. These people are all true techies and I get a kick out of how they dress. One guy always wears white button down shirts tucked into baggy jeans that taper at the bottom and then tucked into boots. It's a scream.

3:46 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home