Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Being busy

So it's been a while since I posted anything on the blog. I'd love to say that I've been having a terribly exciting life and just haven't had the time to write about any of it. Unfortunately my time has been occupied by trying to develop a predictive equation for my current research project...oh isn't that fun!

I'm glad that you think it's interesting because I'm going to go into it in great detail. See I need to figure out how much Joule heating will be produced by a solution with a known resistivity and a variable cross-sectional area...and there goes the remaining readers of my blog, well it almost lasted a full year.

If you are still here the real topic of this post is how much I hurt. The past few weeks have had me in more pain than I have experienced in quite some time. The reason, well I'm getting old, that's about the only excuse I can find.

It all started with a game of "ULTIMATE", please note that "ULTIMATE" must always be spelt in capital bold font letters. Why? Because any sport that involves running around chasing a piece of plastic while not being allowed to touch anyone or even make it difficult for an opponent to follow you needs to be ridiculed. Now you're probably asking why I would play such a ridiculous sport, well I was asked and I figured it could help get me back in shape. The reality is though it may gradually help me get back into shape, only if I don't break my toes first. I don't know what happened but my soccer cleats didn't treat my toes well with all the running. My big toes on each foot felt as though they were broken for almost a week.

Of course being a cyclist my body is in no condition to run. It's really funny how many different muscle groups get used when you run as compared to bicycling. The next few days my legs were just stiff as well as my back and then there was this blister on my heel...the list just goes on. So what did I decide to do, go running outside with Deirdre. That's right, the man who has denounced running for ages and for the most part dislikes running anything that isn't measured in meters (and less than 100 or those I might add) went out for a run of about 3 or 4 miles...with toes that felt like they were broken and legs that seems as though someone had taken a bat to them...before you think me completely stupid have I mentioned that I love Deirdre?

So that run actually was pretty good, it really helped the pain in my feet...well it helped balance out the pain in my feet anyway, and only by increasing the pain in the right foot. Oh and as for my legs, yeah they felt even worse the next day. So a few days later I figured the wise course of action would be to go for a bike ride. Bike rides don't hurt right? Well so long as we aren't going out to Afton and all it's bloody hills. So where are we going on Saturday? Afton??? Who the hell put you in charge of choosing where we go? Great so now I get to ride about 120 km (75 miles) with lots of wind and a whole bunch of rolling hills, and the damn 5 kms (3 miles) of climbing to get out of the hell that is Afton. Damn ride, every time I go to Afton I hurt, I don't like to hurt.

Ok finally Sunday, I can rest. Nothing planned, other than a recovery ride with Deirdre. We'll head down the Greenway trail, it's nice and flat, flat is good for me now. Oh wait, it's windy. I'm not talking Winnie the Pooh blustery day here, I'm talking the kind of day that inspired wind powered generators. So turning around about now would be a good idea, I've already got enough crap blown into my hair for a day. We can rest and then go for the Easter/birthday party at Deirdre's parent's place later. And what do we find when we get there? More "ULTIMATE"!!! A great, well I guess I should play. Oops, wrong shoes, these have no traction at all, but my toes aren't hurting so maybe I should use them when I play "ULTIMATE" again next week? What do you think?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suck it up Buttercup. Let's see how much your shoulder will hurt after dodgeball.

10:53 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home