Wednesday, May 31, 2006

New celebrations

The one thing that seems to amaze me constantly since moving to the US has been their propensity to celebrate just about anything. Just this past weekend I learned of an entirely new celebration that I would never have even dreamed of. I happened to notice a gathering of probably 60 people in front of a house this weekend in what seemed like some form of a party. When I mention this to Deirdre I was informed that:

"Oh yeah, that must have been a graduation open house."

Now you would think that being Canadian and having lived in the US for over a year now I would be very unlikely to find any cultural differences that I was not aware of. But as it turns out the more I live hear the more I learn. Now I can't say anything for the rest of you, but this graduation open house is a completely foreign concept to me. Maybe it's because I grew up in rural Quebec and you guys can put me right on this topic. So I had to ask what is a graduation open house?

I was told that it's a celebration for graduating from high school. The family throws a party and anyone is welcome to stop by and congratulate the graduate.

Now that seems really kind of nice and growing up in a very rural environment I can see how this might be skipped. After if everyone who could easily walk over came by there would be about 8 people there.

But it seems that this initial information wasn't complete. See I asked why there would be about 60 people to congratulate some kid on finishing high school.

First of all, it's expected that there will be plenty of food and cake.
Ok, that makes sense, it is a party after all.
And there are invitations that are mailed out, or sometimes fliers are put up around the neighbourhood. And the house is decorated with balloons, and signs. And lots of people decorate with the school colors, and display pictures (homecoming, prom, school activities, life-span, etc.) and awards or artwork, etc.
Now this is getting a bit much. But then again I had no school spirit, I don't think anyone at my school did. But that's what you get when it's built in a corn field and is sinking. And what the hell is homecoming? Is that another American only celebration?

With everyone finishing at the same time these parties go on throughout May and June each weekend. Friends will often have to hit multiple parties each weekend to see all their friends again. Now let's work on some efficiency here. One big party for everyone, does everyone need to have their own party? And you just spent all year with these people do you need to have a party to commemorate that?

And a basket will be put out for cards and presents. Some people will literally get thousands of dollars, or maybe a car and stuff for their apartment/dorm when they go to college. Seriously now, they completed high school, it's not as though they actually did anything really meaningful. Maybe it's just me and because I have a PhD, but graduating high school seems to be one of the requirements in life, like learning how to tie your shoes. And much like that the reward is that you don't fall on your face and make an ass of yourself.

So after hearing all this from Deirdre I was rather stunned. I think all I got for my high school graduation was $20 and maybe a card from my aunts and uncles. Actually the more I think about it I was surprised when a second cousin sent me a card for $50 bucks for getting my PhD, now I'm feeling ripped off!

Of course after a little tirade about how ridiculous it is to make such a celebration of a minor achievement in life I remembered something that I tend to overlook, my girlfriend is American. Yup, she had an open house as well (though not an extravagant affair)...ah the familiar taste of my own foot, some things never change.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jared Roy said...

Nice CC. Yea if you think about it, it is kind of silly. Is is only High School.

jared

3:13 p.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

I know, I mean it would be one thing if they'd won a cyclocross race ;) , but high school...

7:17 p.m.

 
Blogger pacatrue said...

Well, my family participated in sending invitations to the graduation, which are actually requests for presents as no one expects you to come across the country for high school graduation. On the other hand, I've never heard of a Graduation Open House in my life. Is it a midwestern thing? (I'm southern US originally, but high school in New Jersey.)

9:12 p.m.

 
Blogger Chanda said...

It's not necessarily a midest thing. I grew up in wisconsin and we had "graduation parties." (But I might just be arguing semantics.) Same idea - but it wasn't a neighborhood affair and we did NOT put fliers up for random people to come. I actually did have some relatives drive ~10 hours to come out for mine though. And you usually do expect a boat-load of money in the end. And cake . . . definatley cake.

What can I say - we like to celebrate!

6:44 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home