Tuesday, May 02, 2006

An atheist preacher?

I think I have mentioned before that there is are a number of "preachers" who like to enlighten the academic community of this university from their makeshift pulpit, right in front of the chemistry building. Now I have no idea why they chose the chemistry building, but whatever there is high traffic in the area so it works for them. Plus it works for me too, I get to listen to ramblings on such enlightened views, such as how they aren't opposed to gays, just them getting married.

Now the thing that I haven't mentioned to any of you, but that I'm certain you have all assumed at this point, is that the preachers are Christian. They aren't shouting about the teachings of Buddha,Vishnu, Allah and what about Odin, Neptune and Ra? Why don't we get preachers going off about their teachings?

I'm actually kind of curious if the same situation presents itself in other theocratic states. If you don't thin the US is a theocratic state you really aren't paying attention. Hell it's no accident that all US currency has "In God we trust" on it. Just check out this little history lesson from the Department of the Treasury.

But anyway, I did start to think what it would be like if an atheist decided to take the fiery preacher route that Christians seem to enjoy so much. After all, why can't Atheists make use of the same tactics as the Christians. Though honestly, do they actually manage to change anyone that way? Are gays walking by going to be less inclined to get married because of what some nut ball was shouting?

Of course I realize that it wouldn't be a really long debate/sermon should an Atheist decide to express his/her views. Beyond saying that there is no god what other controversial material do Atheists have to work with? Evolution? The Big Bang? That really doesn't hold a candle to the hell and damnation that the Christians have to work with.

The more I think about it the more I realize that those preaching aren't "doing the Lord's bidding". They are attention hogs. They just want an audience to perform in front of. So they can't sing or act but they can shout. So why not shout about a topic that is sure to gather attention from all parties.

You know, I think I just came up with a great idea for a new TV series, American Preacher! It could be run exactly like American Idol with the whole casting call episodes and the phone in votes. Even a panel of judges from different religions to add fuel to the fire. It would be great! Christians, Hindus, Muslims and all the rest could try out...but you know it would be a Christian that would win in the end. And at the end they get their own Preaching hour show on some obscure cable station. You laugh now, but just you wait and see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

I haven't watched TV on TV since last year's TDF. I never watch TV.

But I would totally watch American Idol Preacher! I think we should vote for president like that too.

3:00 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home