Sunday, April 23, 2006

Congratulation, here's a gift

Yeah, I'm probably a bit of a bastard at times. I'll admit that I have a mean streak to me so sometimes when an opportunity presents itself I just can't pass it up.

This past weekend I went to a co-workers wedding. All in all it was a fun night, until the best man hit my girlfriend in the face...but you can read that story on her blog. No my contribution to the wedding was some pretty poor dancing and a gift off the registry.

It was with the gift that I started what might (with any luck) become an interesting trend. I'm sure you've seen a bridal registry before. And why is it a bridal registry? Ok, that's self explanatory, a groom's registry would be all at Best Buy and Home Depot. Anyway, my idea with gift registries from now on is to go through the entire registry and find the most useless seeming item on the list and buy that.

Sure I could shell out a couple of hundred for a duvet or more for silk sheets for their bed, but why? I like my friends and all but I really don't like the idea of furnishing their homes just because they chose to invite a lot of people to their wedding. Hell most of the time the people I know getting married have been living on their own for 5 or more years, if by now you haven't bought a fat separator you probably don't need one. Incidentally that was my gift for the wedding.

So be forewarned if you invite me to a wedding (and since it is virtually mandatory that I buy a gift) don't have useless stuff on the list. Because I will buy it! So if you must make a list ask yourself: if I only get one gift, do I really want to get X? If the answer is yes put it on, otherwise don't bother.

Of course now that I think it through my plan does have one drawback, that being that all the cheap shitty gifts will be left off of the registries, leaving only the expensive flatware and china sets. But I can get around that by ordering really odd numbers of pieces; 5 forks, 1 knife and 7 spoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home