Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Damn, I'm hungry again!

Wow, it's been a while since I posted anything, sorry about that. I know that a few of you have been checking regularly for updates and I almost feel bad not having anything new up here...then I remember it's not my job to entertain you.

What has kept me busy has been for the most part may work. I don't think any of you need to hear the details of that, for the most part it's pretty damn boring. Hell, I'm a chemist, most people's eyes glaze over at the mere mention of my career field. So let's just leave it at that.

The other aspect of my life that has started to take up more time is my bicycling. Those that know me know that I'm nuts about bicycling. I will talk about it endlessly given the opportunity and I will help anyone buy/fix/ride any bike...which is why I was once called a "bike fairy" but that's a whole other story.

Part of my desire to ride more is because I've started racing again...maybe I should rephrase that, I've started to try and race again. When you only last 20 minutes of a 90 minute criterium before being lapped things aren't good. Though in my defense the whole field was lapped by the four leaders. So evidently I need to get out and train lots more. And thinking about it there were plenty of signs that I was not in shape before I even entered the race, but I guess I needed that humiliation to drill things home. Though one of my teammates did point out that I have pasty white legs, a sure sign that I haven't been riding enough (and not using the tanning lotion).

The funny part to me though is that I realized another sign that I've been slaking off lately. Last night I went out to do intervals, repeats of a 4 km stretch of road as fast as I could. When I got home I had dinner and felt nicely full. This morning though I was starving! Seriously I was ravenous, until I had a bowl of cereal and everything was good. Of course after being at work for half an hour I was starving again. I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong with me. And then I figured it out, my stomach hasn't stretched yet!

I know this sounds damn strange to most of you, but it really happens. Cyclists it seems do the opposite of what the super morbidly obesse need to have done. We need to stretch out our stomachs so that we can get enough food in a sitting to replenish the energy we spent. Come the winter however we have to be careful to limit how much we eat since we often don't need as much since we are working out less. It's really funny that a cyclist can eat as much as an inactive person (and sometimes more) and these are the results you get:

So right now I'm kind of like an infant, I can't get enough food in me in one sitting to last me all night. Though I don't wake up in the middle of the night crying...well not because of hunger. The really sad part is that I don't feel that I'm close to training enough yet. Anyway, I'm off, I need to find more food, yet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home