Tuesday, July 18, 2006

...with cheese

Now I'm not too sure if this is a regional thing, a national cuisine style, or just due to my proximity to Wisconsin, but what the hell is up with the use of cheese on everything?

I've known this for a while but it's just been getting to me more and more lately. It's almost a universal truth that at any mid-priced bar/restaurant you will be unable to order an item off the menu without it including cheese. I should admit that I'm not the worlds biggest fan of cheese. It has it's place in a number of dishes, with moderation, but not on everything. It literally is like a treasure hunt to find items on any of these menus that don't contain cheese (even the fish items do!).

Anyone know what's under the cheese?

I've been trying to figure out why they use so much cheese at these places. I'm still not sure if it's simply because of the local desire to have cheese on everything. Alternately they may just be using it as a way to mask poor cooking skills. After all if people really enjoyed cheese you would think that they would be a bit more selective and want more variety than just Cheddar or Jack, and no, both at once does not constitute something special. But a quick trip through Wikipedia reminded me that maybe they just do want cheese in everything; the Twin Cities addition to the culinary delicacies of the world is the Juicy Lucy(and yes it's safe to click that link). So yeah, cuisine out here is really kind of sad...unless you adore cheese.

4 Comments:

Blogger J-Mo said...

I'm a big fan of cheese, but i know what you mean. I like it with certain items not EVERY item. I noticed the same thing when out for dinner on SAunday. Everyting on the menu came with cheese.

10:40 a.m.

 
Blogger pacatrue said...

Cheese is the food of the gods. You should have fried cheese dill pickles. Scrumptious.

Yes, I just made that up.

12:34 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's because Wisconsin is America's Dairyland. I suggest trying to fried cheese curds from Culver's. Or if you're ever in Wisconsin, to try to sour cream and chive fries from the Ashley Home Store in Arcadia, Wisconsin.

7:25 a.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

j-mo: It's surprising what kind of a difference crossing the border can make in cullinary tastes. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to think it's strange, to the people here it's normal. I wonder if they panic if a menue isn't 95% cheese?

paca: Yeah, that sounds nasty, I'm sure they will have it at the state fair this year. On the other hand I can always get deep fried cheese curds at any bar...and no I'm not making that up.

kim: I've tried cheese curds at a couple of bars here, they are surpringly salty for something that is deep fried. As for the sour cream fries, well I don't even like poutine and I'm a Quebecer, I doubt I'll every try sour cream and chive fries, that's just nasty!

8:11 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home