Thursday, January 18, 2007

Fucking rhinovirus

So I guess I've been lucky over the years, generally I don't get sick. And even if I do it's short term. The last time I was "really" sick I had mono. I was functional with it for two weeks before I got diagnosed, though the golf ball sized lymph node in my armpit was a good clue that I was more sick than normal. But even then once I knew what it was I let myself sleep for 80% of the time for three days and I was almost back to normal. I still remember some good friends coming by with a care package on the first day that I was almost feel normal, I felt bad for feeling good when they showed up.

But now for the first time in years I have a full blown cold. I think I've had smaller colds in the past, with only a runny nose or a day of congested sinuses. But not this time, it's the full deal. It started to hit me on Friday and last night was the first night of uninterrupted sleep that I have had since then.

And thinking of it, this virus is just downright mean. It starts off with the annoying sore/itchy throat, making even eating a slightly painful experience. Then it adds congestion of your sinuses, to the point where it seems hard to breath and that your skull shrank in the last shower you took. Of course this makes sleeping just shitty because you wake up unable to breath. When you finally do start the day it's even worse as all the mucus and crap that your body produced over night is now finding it's way out. Then there's the coughing. There's no way that coughing is going to help me in any way, yet my body will do it, constantly. The only benefit I might get is sounding like Barry White, Vin Diesel or a chain smoker for a day. Finally when you can sleep through a night and start to feel good your nose decides to compete with Niagara falls for the greatest volume of liquid flow in the day. Oh and let's not forget the wonderful cornucopia of sounds that accompany you through this journey.

Frankly I'd prefer leprosy or Ebola over a cold. At least that way I'd have the same symptoms throughout the course of the infection. And a little hemorrhagic fever isn't nearly as unpleasant as the mucus running out of my nose right now. And if I have to keep blowing my nose for much longer I think it may just look like I am hemorrhaging from there anyway.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe it's the same cold going around... last weekend I was sick with a very similar sounding cold (-the cough). My sinuses were pounding, I barely slept and I had to blow my nose every 10 minutes. It's a week and 3 days after I got my cold and I'm STILL blowing my nose every half an hour. That was one doozy of a cold. I hope you feel better soon!

7:01 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home