Thursday, June 30, 2005

A little critisim...

When I checked my e-mail this morning I found a message from my brother, a somewhat pointed criticism about my latest blog post. It seems that I may have slipped into a bit of a rut in criticizing Americans in a somewhat condescending manner. Though I will admit to being guilty of that from time to time in the blog, that was not my intention in the post about tattoos. However seeing as I have been critical in the past a misinterpretation of my intent, which was to be a simple commentary with a loose assumption based upon the melting pot versus mosaic natures of the US and Canada.

That being said I am curious to know if others feel that I have been too harsh on Americans? I value my brother's opinion; he's quite bright and is not one to hold back if I piss him off. Though I guess we are both that way (I'm not saying that I'm bright, I'm saying I'll let him know if he ticks me off) , which is why it's probably better that we not share an apartment again. But has this blog become a mean criticism rather than...well I don't know what it was supposed to be, but I don't want it to come across as something negative.

So I guess on that note I will try to be more positive about being around Americans and not pick on the things that irk me. But I have the feeling that it's going to be hard to avoid, after all this is the weekend where Americans "celebrate the independence of [their] nation by blowing up a small part of it". So you are all now warned, this place may get rather boring real quick, as my life really isn't that interesting without the complaining...god this is going to suck...hey there's something to complain about, woohoo!

Happy Canada Day everyone (in case I don't post tomorrow).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, you're not being too critical. While individual Americans can be very nice people, as a society and a nation there is *plenty* to criticize.

9:55 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I don't think you're being too harsh, either... If you saw the same behaviour in Canada, you would have the same observations, and with just as much justification. As Cory said, there are lots of things to criticize about Americans as a group, even though some of the individuals are quite nice. And you have also mentioned at least one nice person that springs to mind... :)

3:34 p.m.

 
Blogger CMac said...

Whose blog is this, yours or your brother's?

1:38 p.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Cmac - I know full well it's my blog, I just know that my brother is the type of person who will let me know if I'm being an asshole. Just like I know that you will congratulate me for being an asshole ;)

Anyway I don't think things will change much, I was just curious to see what my audience thought of the blog so far

2:29 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home