Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Minneapolis Drivers

Why is it that when you mention how good things are they suddenly turn bad? I'm really starting to think that Murphy was onto something. Well tonight when I was out riding with one of the members of the university bike team he mentioned how good the drivers in Minneapolis were (in comparison to the rest of the US, now I'm scared) and how they were good around cyclists.

At this point I had to agree with him, as I had only had one insult yelled at me and one close call with a car. Albeit that incident with the car occurred on the way to ride, when the car tried to do a left turn and somehow didn't see me (I'm 6'2" and decked out in my "fire red" team kit, how on earth can you not see me?). Well on the way home things just got better. The first incident was stunning, a kid, literally he must have been 15, pulled out through a merge in front of me. It wasn't supper close, but enough to get me ticked, so as I went past after a quick change of lanes I yelled at him and raised my arm. His response to this was to flip me the bird! What the hell? Did I get in his way with a ton of plastic and metal? Maybe this is just part of the American way: "So what if I'm wrong, I'll just tell you to piss off and not apologize." (that is the lesson that George W. has sent right? By the way, what ever happened to those WMDs?).

Finally I was almost run into a second time by a car turning left. Seriously, what is the problem with people seeing me? Actually that was the same corner where the guy on the motorcycle almost got me. I guess I'm just moving too fast, because I certainly couldn't be much bigger or brighter in colour.

Ah well, it's all part of the fun. What would riding in a city be without having to dodge a few stupid drivers every time you roll out your door?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home