Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Curiosity

It's interesting to see what you can find on the internet. I don't know why, but for some reason my mind suddenly wanted to know what the term "wop" actually meant. I mean I had heard the term used and recognized that it is directed primarily towards Italians, but I had no real understanding of what the term meant. I mean I had long ago learned that a WASP wasn't the insect but a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.

So I figured what the hell, Wikipedia has an answer for pretty much everything, let's see what we get for "wop". All I can say is DAMN! I had no clue there were so many "ethnic" slurs out there. These are slurs from just about any race/nation/sex against any other race/nation/sex. Some are creative, others mean, some are just down right odd.

Here are a few interesting ones that I noticed as I was scanning through. The users are in parentheses at the beginning of the definition:
North Dallas 40
(Texas blacks) White women with breast implants (fake breasts). This also refers to the perceived upscale status of women who choose to undergo breast enlargement surgery. North Dallas is historically the wealthiest area of that city. "40" (inches; about 102 cm) is an unusually large breast measurement for a normally-built woman. Also the title of a football movie.
Quintroon
(19th-century Europe & U.S.) a person of 1/16 Black ancestry. Now obsolete.
Mud Shark
(U.S.) White woman who seeks intimate relationships with black men.
MIT
(U.S. Chinese) Made In Taiwan; refers to immigrants born in the Republic of China. Contrast with ABC.

Luo bo tou
(Chinese) a Japanese person - literally means "carrot head", derived from the fact that the Japanese like to have pickled carrots as sidedishes in a meal.
Island Ape/ Inselaffe
(Germany) Term sometimes used for people from the United Kingdom
Gay or Just English?
(U.S.) The perceived effeminately foppish mannerisms of Englishmen

If you look through this list you'll certainly be able to find a slur that describes you perfectly. It's really stunning. I mean there were a whole bunch in there that are supposed to be Canadian slurs but I honestly had never heard of them. And to be frank I'm glad I hadn't, I'm glad that the people I associate with are more intelligent than to judge someone based on appearances or religion or anything other than who that person is.

I posted this link because it is interesting to see that there are slurs from everywhere for everyone. And some are funny, like the North Dallas 40 (but I'm also going to hell, so maybe my judgement isn't the best). But I'm not one to associate these terms to people nor would I ever use them in a malicious form (jokingly maybe, but that's only with people I know and who know how I truly think). So once again, feel free to have a guilty laugh or two, but also cringe at ones like the "Mississippi wind chime" and remember that there are people out there that do think this way still...and that's just sad and wrong.

1 Comments:

Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Too funny. I've used the "I'm not sure if he's gay or just English thing" before. I love it.

No matter how far we think we've evolved...well, we really haven't.

6:04 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home