Friday, February 17, 2006

I've had enough!

That's it, I'm through with this crap, I'm sick and tired of the cold!

I know, that's pretty strange to hear from a Canadian, living in the US. Ok, so we could move the border south of Minneapolis and I doubt anyone would notice, but it's still technically the US. The point being that this has been quite possibly the warmest winter of my life. Yet, it's still winter and the temperature hasn't really been above freezing since sometime in November, or maybe October and it's not getting better any time soon.

I've been thinking, why on earth do humans subject themselves to these insane weather conditions? Seriously, how many people in these areas have jobs that can only be done there? Why don't people just pick up and move some place warmer? Hell, I moved some place colder when I moved to Edmonton, that was easy to do, moving further South should be just as simple.

And I know those of you who know me may be wondering why I'm complaining. Sure the temperature is now only -21 C (-6 F) I've been through worse, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. Sure I can walk across campus at this temperature without a jacket (and yes, I just did) but that's only because I can tolerate the cold for a short period better than most. See I am the human equivalent of a block heater. My body can produce vast amounts of heat from the food I consume, yet being 6'2" and 170 pounds and very lean, I don't actually keep much of that heat near me. See I have a body designed to dissipate heat, so I get cold. It just happens that I managed to mess my brain up enough with all the drinking that I did (and drunk walking in the winter) that I no longer really register the cold temperature of my skin.

So take this is my formal warning, as soon as I can, I will be finding a job in a warmer climate. I'm too smart, too sick of the cold and too poorly insulated to spend any more winters being cold half the time. And you know what, I suggest that you all think about that, because I would love to have some friends join me in a warmer climate. Thinking of it now, I understand why people lived in colder climates, it was competition for food an resources...and they lost. But let's try that competition thing again, by now the cold has made us all a lot stronger (or maybe just desperate) but with that kind of motivation I'm pretty sure Canada could win a war with some nice warm laid-back tropical country. So anyone up for an invasion of Costa Rica? I can guarantee you they would never see it coming. Just think about it, I'm sure you'll see my logic at around -35 C.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home