Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Back in the saddle again

So Saturday I was out for my first bike ride of the season. Damn it felt good to be out riding again. The weather wasn't great, somewhere around -4 C (25 F) but once you get moving on the bike so long as you have the right gear on you'll be fine.

Speaking of gear, I've found that one of the most important items is a really good undershirt. Specifically the stuff made by Craft. Looking at and feeling the material you would never believe it to be so warm, it's thinner than a t-shirt. But the material and the weaving used to make the shirt make it stupidly warm. I swear I would be comfortable in temperatures just above freezing in only this undershirt. So with three layers like this and a fleece biking jacket, and a jersey, I was nice and toasty. But then again it really wasn't that cold, there was a Texan riding with us. But then again, she's a bit nuts, she's going through a withdrawal of not being able to ride every day all year long like they can in Texas...except those days that it's too hot to be outside...I think I prefer it too cold, some may remember my brain melting ride last year.

It was a good ride and despite the fact that it was my first ride of the year I found myself riding at the front of the pack most of the time, stupid racing instincts. For those of you that don't ride the reason it's stupid to be at the front of the pack on your first ride is quite simple; the closer you are to the front the more direct wind you encounter and the harder it is to maintain your speed; the further back you are in the pack, the better the draft and the easier it is to keep up. So I was pleasantly surprised to see that despite my stupidity my strength and speed were good enough to keep me at the front with ease, and to be able to go up the minor hills without straining.

On the way back I managed to fall even further into the usual habits. It was a headwind on the way back so since it was just myself and another girl going back at this time (the others were going for a longer ride) I ended up being the lead rider...it's always the case when there's a headwind. Though that may be because even when I'm the one in the lead into the wind I'm often able to push the pace to a point where the people in the pack will complain that the pace is too high (I heard that a lot at the end of rides back in Edmonton). I'll always back off when I hear this, but I will also smile to myself that I'm able to do that. And yes, I had a little smile on my face on the ride back in.

I did get a funny e-mail after the ride from my mother. The e-mail is below:
Please tell me you weren't rushed to the ER and that you had a good bike ride?? Was it with your bike club? Or were you just being weird? It isn't yet that warm, is it??? Talk to you soon.
I guess mom forgot that I have ridden in every month of the year other than January and February, while I lived in Edmonton. Hell I was once riding my bike on a road next to a guy cross country skiing in the trail next to me. But that's what mothers are for, to care and worry about you, even if it is unnecessary.

I'm looking forward to this weekends riding. The weather is supposed to be much nicer, around 6 C (45 F) so that means way less winter gear...hell I've raced in the summer in Edmonton in colder weather! I've got to say I have the usual spring feeling again, the potential of a summer of racing and all the fun of riding for hours. It's going to be great.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your post makes me long to go riding again. Since the car accident and since falling from the bike (In Moab)last year... i haven't ridden in almosst 12 months.... thanks for the descriptions...

enjoy the good weather.
expecting more snow today! oh joy

5:50 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home