Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Bus conversations.

So since I moved to Minneapolis I've had to take the bus a lot more. It's not that I had to leave a car behind when I moved here, I've never had one (though when you consider how much money I've spent on bikes I could have bought one by now). No my reason for joining in the throngs of sleepy mass transit riders here every morning is that I no longer live across the street from my work place so I can't just stumble over on foot in 5 minutes, which kind of sucks. Though I also don't live with up to 8 other people for who were able to clean about as well as Bush can predict "victory" in Iraq (how long ago was victory claimed?). I figure it's a pretty fair trade.

Since this has really been the first time in ages that I have had to use public transit it was an eye opening experience. I soon learned that the freaks are generally found at the front of the bus...well at least on the buses that run in my neighbourhood, but then again I seem to have a lot of "characters" around my neighbourhood. My most recent realization has been that nobody really talks on the bus, with two exceptions: the freaks and the people yelling into cell phones.

It's really quite surprising at times. The other day on the bus home I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of chatter on the bus. That wouldn't be all the unusual, we were leaving the university and friends may be riding together, but then I looked around. Nobody was talking to anyone else on the bus, there were at least four people talking into cell phones however. Now I have a cell phone and I have no problem with people using them in public, hell if you have a cell phone but refuse to use it in public I'd say that you have a problem. So obviously some of the courtesies of the past are taking a back seat in terms of conversations. After all most people when riding a bus would try to keep their conversations in more hushed/private tones, unless of course you don't care about people listening in on your bowel problems. That or you're like some valley girl who like uses like in front of every other like word.

But for some reason if people are on their cell phones they cannot seem to control their voices (or cars if they are driving, but don't get me started). Sure your plans for going out with your friends on Friday night are important (ok, let's pretend they are, you're only 20 after all), but I really don't need to hear that you double booked yourself with your sisters hockey game (to be honest, I don't think your friend cares either) so try speaking a bit softer. But if you must announce to the whole bus what exactly your plans are, I realize it's a bit challenging to let us know what the person on the other end of the line is saying, but at least finish your own sentences. I mean I hate to infer on what you are saying based upon my few minutes in your presence. And let's face it if I have to use my imagination I'm going to make it interesting. Which may mean I give you a strange look or two, but hey you left the door open for me to insert midgets, a couple of bottles of whiskey and donkey into your Saturday night. What can I say, I get bored easily on the bus and if you draw my attention you will be my entertainment.

1 Comments:

Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

People on cellphones on the bus are so annoying. Especially in the morning. I just want to read in peace. I did a post last spring about a bus ride where a disgusting old guy had pubic hair coming out of his pants. BLECH!!!!!! Public transportation is the reason I eat breakfast AFTER I've gotten to work.

12:29 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home