Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Taxes suck even more this year


It is about that time of year, taxes are coming due shortly. This year is a bit odd for me as with the move to the US that is where the majority of my tax dollars are going. Though thankfully the right amounts seemed to have been taken out with the payroll deduction and I will be getting a nice return. I've always kind of liked that, it's like a savings account set up for just when I might need to pick up some new parts/items for the bicycling season.

There is one downside to the whole thing though, and that is that I have to pay tax to the US government. One key reason why I don't like this is because of what the money is being used for. Ok, I know that I'm really not paying all that much in taxes, and that the amount I paid doesn't even come close to the amount Halliburton charged for movie rentals $152,000 (how many times can they watch Glitter, Crossroads and Gigli?).

The worst part of all this though is that not only do I get taxed differently (more) for being a "non-resident" alien, but I don't get a say in what is done with the money. It's kind of like chipping in for pizza but not being asked what you want on it. And in this case it seems the pizza is covered in nuts (coincidentally I'm allergic to nuts).

See I really wouldn't mind paying taxes to this government if they were going to do good things with it, but I really kind of doubt that they are. After all two of the most pressing issues to the Republican party are ensuring that marriages are protected by preventing gay marriages (with a divorce rate at ~50% what harm can the gays do to the "sanctity" or marriage?) and the lovely removal of a womans right to chose whether or not to have an abortion (after all that whole land of the free thing is just to sucker you in).

Now maybe if the Republicans took a page from Trudeau's book "... that there's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation." I wouldn't mind paying taxes. Hell the soldiers that the government sent to Iraq could certainly use the money for more armour...or for Halliburton to rent some more movies...damn I wish I could vote here.

2 Comments:

Blogger J-Mo said...

I don't think i'd enjoy shelling out to the US govenrment either, but i guess you can't really bite the hand that's feeding you.

6:22 a.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

I agree, there isn't much I can do. A friend and I have have lamented this a few times. Our solution, non-resident aliens (which we both are) should get half a vote each. At least then I would have some kind of say about where my tax dollars go. Though I'm not going to hold my breath on that one happening any time soon.

6:29 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home