Thursday, March 16, 2006

Slow People


So why is it that people are so damn slow? And I don't mean in the "let's vote for Bush again" kind of slow, but in the physical sense of not being able to beat a snail in a race...uphill...in the snow. And no it's not because of my "freakishly strong legs" (nor are the freakishly long) that I move so fast, I just don't like to go slow. Hell, I'm proud enough to say that I have walked with people shorter then me who walk faster than me, so I'm not that fast a walker. But at times I can seem way above the norm.

Yesterday was a great example. I was walking over to the building where Deirdre works so we could go out to lunch. Well as I was getting near the building, maybe 300 meters away, I passed someone who looked like one of her co-workers. I was waiting outside her office since she has to wait for the co-worker to return before she can leave. I don't know why they can't leave without having two other people in the office to cover for them, somehow the office manager expects them to be swamped with work right around noon. Either way Deirdre's co-worker (who in fact was the person I passed on the way over) finally showed up, now my question is, how the hell did I get here that much faster? Hell, I took the longer way into the building.

But people all over are like this, they walk at mind-numbingly slow speeds, usually three or four abreast so you can't easily pass them on a sidewalk. Or better still are the ones driving around town, usually in rush hour as if they have nowhere to go. Seriously, how do you have so much free time that you have nothing better to do than move as slowly as possible to get to a destination? I mean I've even seen people biking so slowly I was sure if I tried the same I would fall over...and I can balance at a complete stop!

I really don't understand why people don't try to get to a destination as fast as possible. I mean if you have extra time, spend more time at home or leave work later, just don't slow me down. I mean sure we've all heard that the "it's not the destination but the journey" inspirational BS, but somehow I don't think that applies when the journey takes you through that part of town that always smells like ass.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HUB mall is definitely one of the most annoying places on campus to walk. No one knows how to move over or walk at a normal pace. I agree with you Chris, I simply cannot walk slowlyl, or 'saunter' if you will. Even if I have no where to be, I had better be moving at a good pace (it's kind of that "lost, but making good time" concept.

5:53 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget, the person was walking BACK to work. Can't say I'd be in a rush either.

8:37 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home