Wednesday, September 27, 2006

What were they thinking?

So, out of curiosity, how many of you would be interested in visiting a city that can boast having a population density 67 times smaller than that of New York City?

Still not convinced that you want to go, I can't blame you. How about a city with one of the largest collection of Dutch Elms on it's streets? No, even if it's not in the Netherlands?

Wow, tough crowd. I know, what will entice you to go there: Michael J. Fox AND Jill Hennesey* were both born there. Sure neither one lives there now, but don't let that stop you from going there.
*Yeah, I have no clue who this Jill character is, I think they just made up a name.

I know what will get you to come to the city, I mean nothing will keep me from going now. The city has a composting facility that is 25 hectares in size (that's bigger than 25 football fields)! Making it the biggest, both by volume AND size, in North America!

So really, all these great facts about a city don't make you want to visit, move there or invest? Then why the hell is Edmonton trying to promote itself with these stupid facts? Seriously, what's going on up there guys? I mean I know that there isn't much for the tourist to see other than the mall, but you could have done better than this.

I mean a population density that is only rivaled by North Dakota and Saskatchewan is what all the young people want. Lots of space with nobody around. That's why nobody ever wants to visit/move to/live in NYC.

And Dutch Elms, what's the first thing that comes to mind when you heard Dutch Elms? That's right, Dutch Elm DISEASE! What marketing ploy did this beat out, the per capita rate of Mad Cow Disease?

As for celebrities, if Michael J. Fox and some barely recognized woman are the best you have maybe you want to keep that quiet. Particularly in light of the fact that neither one lives there and I doubt that they bother to visit any more. The tourists want maps to the stars' homes, not to some house they haven't been in for 30 years.

Finally, WTF were they thinking advertising a composting facility? Yeah, I know that green cities are a good thing, but 25 football fields of rotting organic matter doesn't add up to a fun time for me. I mean maybe if the compost heap talked like Madame Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock that would be something. But they made no mention of sage advice or the potential odour for that matter.

But I suppose in the grand scheme of things the campaign to get Edmonton recognized will work. Though they will now be recognized as the lamest Canadian city. I wonder what Regina will do to try to regain the title?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She plays Jordan Cavanah on "Crossing Jordan" which is sort of a CSI type show. I quite enjoy it, although I did have to look at her picture before I knew who she was!

8:31 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Chris

LOL -- you didn't like those ads -- I haven't seen any yet. Probably not likely to since I'm in Edmonton. But come on who wouldn't want to brag about a composting heap the size of 25 football fields.

Anyways, glad to hear all is going well down there.

Cheers
Brianne

10:19 a.m.

 
Blogger Christopher Robin said...

Actually Brianne I haven't seen any of the ads, I should check them out, they are on the site I linked to. I was just to blown away by the stats that they were able to provide.

1:46 p.m.

 
Blogger CMac said...

Dude, did you even check the IMDB link you included for Jill Hennessy? Hello?! Law & Order! She was great, among my favouritest ADAs. Dang, I just realized she was also in Homicide: Life on the Street, my favourite drama show of all time. Oh SNAP! She has a twin sister who acts as well, and stood in for her on Law&Order. Thank you for bringing all of these important facts to my attention, it makes me want to visit Edmonton post-haste.

6:27 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home