Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Why the world hates the US

Friday night I got yet another clear view of why the rest of the world really dislikes the US. Now before I go on I know a number of Americans read this blog, hell I'm dating one. Now I don't hate Americans, I just wish that they would learn something about things beyond their borders. I mean seriously, the Great Wall of China was never as effective at keeping out foreign ideas and ways as the Americans have been.

See what happened was I was at a party and we ended up playing Cranium. There were three teams and at one point all the teams had to compete simultaneously to see who could act out (charades) a person the fastest. Well the three "actors" all read the card and then said that they didn't even know who the person was. It was fucking Marcel Marceau!!! You know, the most famous mime in the known history of the universe. Now admittedly getting us to guess his name rather than the generic term "mime" would have been a bit harder, but still, you should at least know who the fuck he is. Particularly if you are a graduate student working towards your Ph.D. Of course when they mentioned who it was there were two of us in the room who knew who Marcel Marceau was, the other guy who knew is Honduran.

On it's own this wouldn't have been so bad. However later in the night one of the guys who didn't know Mr. Marceau was discussing college football. He asked one of the other guys if he thought that coach fat-ass really looked like Elmer Fudd. Now is it just me that thinks that it's wrong that he knows a college football coach by both name and face but couldn't even figure out who a world renowned performer was?

But I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. Any Canadian who has ever watch a weeks worth of Jeopardy has seen some supposed genius declare that Toronto is either a province or the capital city of our country. Ah, the bliss of American ignorance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home